The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

linkv3.... GM MAF vs SD?

turbohf

so I'm kinda looking for feedback from people running V3 with the native GM MAF setup (no translator).

buddy is trying to get me to run this setup on my car. honestly I just want my car to run like it is suppose to. if its just a couple hp but way easier to tune then im fine. if its a lot of hp left on the table thats not cool. or if drivabilty is comprimized in anyway thats not good either. same goes for both setups.

oh quick rundown of my setup:
2.4L 8.8:1cr
mild head port
FP2 cams
stock intake/tb
fp red turbo
pte1000 injectors
blah blah, I'm sure all the other supporting parts too.
92oct for now. maybe e85 or meth later.

my car is currently setup and running a GM MAF via the translator.

prove_it

SD is nice when you blow a coupler and wanna get home.

turbohf

I'm running blow threw. haven't had issue with that in a while.

also I run SD on all my Honda setups obviously. the Galant is the first car to run a MAF setup.

turbowop

If you have the opportunity to go SD with Link I say do it. My car runs great on it. But then it ran great on a 2gMaf as well. But the SD setup is super clean and simple. Just gotta tune it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

It is much cleaner. If you ask the right people, they claim an increase of 10% whp gain with sd. Can't say if it's true or not, but I have no issues with it. Makes for better logging as you can see a real MAP value plus IATs. MAF is technically more accurate as it physically measures air, but has a restriction. SD is a guessitmate (fairly accurate) of the air entering the engine, but has no restriction.

It's really down to what you wanna do to your car. Both set-ups have pushed cars into the 9's, so in my opinion, do what you want on your set-up.

turbohf

well 10% is gonna be 400 vs 450 HP... I like the bigger number /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

as far as what I plan to do with the car (oops should have put in first post) is drive it. I just want a bad ass street car. I have no plans to drag race or road race.

strokin4dr

Link with SD here. I've always had good running cars with a 1g, 2g or 3g MAS, but I would still never go back now that I have SD set up. The project car is ready to go for SD too when I finally get all the new goodies put together and installed. You can't go wrong with it.

362Ryan

I'm running V3 with a GM MAF right now. Not terrible but, I am ready to install my SD setup.
The car tends to act funny in the cold. I'm hoping that will go away and I will get rid of any intake restrictions as well.

prove_it

I think the MAS less piping makes the turbo a little louder, but could be my imagination.

turbohf

mine is blow threw. right off the throttle body elbow.

so I would need to make/redo my upper pipe, but not a huge deal.

turbohf

btw i do have this hanging around. click I assume that this will work fine with ecmlink?

strokin4dr

That will work fine. I'm using the GM style Omni power 4 bar in the same GM housing. Just get a GM intake temp sensor/pigtail and you'll be set.

strokin4dr

Quoting prove_it:
I think the MAS less piping makes the turbo a little louder, but could be my imagination.

This was true on my 16g setup. I also went from a stock 2g snorkel intake tube to a FP with a huge filter though. Night and day difference. The old setup was a noticeable restriction.

Wookalar

This is just my opinion on the matter but I never used a maf so I might be biased. I have had zero problems with speed density. At this point in technology I wonder why people still use mafs if for nothing other than budget contraints hindering a ecmlink v3 purchase.

Maybe prove it can explain to everyone why a maf is still justifiable.

prove_it

Because it's a true measurement of air density. Doesn't mean SD is less applicable though. Best example is Honda. For years they have run SD, but around 05-06 they transitioned to MAF with SD. They MAF is used the calculate desired fuel with the SD acting as a verifier for emissions use. This was done to decrease emissions and increase fuel mileage.

The MAF vs SD debate is old and stale. Both systems are fully functional. SD is only accurate if it's "tuned" to the engines air demands, where as MAF is basically "self-calibrating".

I went SD as I already had V3 and was logging MAP already, so just added an IAT and went with it. Only time I've ever truly needed it was when I blew a hard to reach coupler 30 miles from home. With SD, you just keep driving.

turbohf

for reasons prove_it posted i like the MAF setup, and i have a buddy that has explained it also. but like i said before i have been doing Honda's forever, and probably still will (still not 100% sure why? but my beater is getting turboed now too). all of those have been 88-00ish. and have run SD. i usually dont swap out too much stuff to make the 'self calibrating' part of the MAF appealing, but seems cool, and i like the idea that its measuring the actual air coming in and making changes for it rather than a calculation. but i also dont care to have GM MAF on my car (looks like GM sh*t), and i like my TiAL bov.

one of the things that kind of turns me off to the ECMLink/OEM ECU running SD is that its meant to be running a MAF setup. but i also dont know anything about computers/code. so if it works, and works well, then it does. and im ok with it then.

my buddy that is always willing to help has tuned every combination of DSM (and others too) tuning tools, and has said that we will have the car running. so thats not a big issue.

so you guys having me leaning towards the V3 SD setup...unless my AEM starts magically working.... LOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts