The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch Fork Movement

NYC86ZC

A month ago in bumper to bumper traffic I pushed in my clutch pedal and it engaged about an inch off the floor instead of the usual 4 inches off the floor. I got it home, put in a new slave cylinder and bled the lines and it was fine for a few weeks. The other day it did the same thing again; engaging an inch off the floor. I swapped out the master and bled the system again, but it's still an inch from the floor.

The clutch fork where it meets the slave is supposed to move left/right in/out to allow the pressure plate to engage and disengage, but mine is also moving up and down. I don't recall it doing this in the past.

Is this normal? It seems sloppy. There are no funny sounds or noises when pressing in the pedal.

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Last edited:

prove_it

So the clutch arm moves up and down while applying the clutch pedal? If so your throwout bearing or pressure plate is junk. If you mean to say you can wiggle it up and down with your fingers, then that's fairly normal.

What clutch, and brand of parts do you have?

NYC86ZC

It is an act 2100 setup.

When the pedal isn't pressed i can move the fork up and down in the car. I figured it should stay put in the middle and only move left to right when the clutch pedal is pressed but not up and down.

G

Staff member
I would say that the threaded rod going to your master is "backing in". You need to back it out and lock it in to place with a jamb nut and or loctite.

turbowop

Maybe the retaining clip that holds the fork to the throwout bearing broke or somehow came off, allowing play.

Last edited:

prove_it

Quoting NYC86ZC:
It is an act 2100 setup.

When the pedal isn't pressed i can move the fork up and down in the car. I figured it should stay put in the middle and only move left to right when the clutch pedal is pressed but not up and down.

It's not all fixed together inside the bellhousing. There will be some play. How much are you talking? Also please list the brands of parts, IE master cylinder, slave cylinder, etc.

If your not using oem parts, then that could be the issue.

NYC86ZC

I'm using non OEM parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I had the wifey push the pedal while I looked at the slave and it does appear to fully extend the fork arm. So, I started to pull stuff apart to drop the trans. I pulled the dust boot cover thing protecting the fork arm so I can kind of have a little look inside to see what's going on and it looks like the there is no pivot/fulcrum point. I think it snapped off. That's why the fork arm can move up and down because it's not set in place by the fulcrum point.

Hopefully I'll have some time on Saturday to pull the trans and I'll give more details.

Thanks guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wookalar

So the ball broke and maybe just the clip is holding the fork in place? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

NYC86ZC

Yup. That's what I'm thinking.

Once I removed the slave cylinder the clutch fork arm moves all around, but I still can't pull it out. I'm thinking the TOB clips are holding it in place.

prove_it

Ouch, I'd throw a revised clutch arm in there while your at it too.

NYC86ZC

Well it looks like the Pivot ball snapped off.

I'm going to throw in a spare trans I have laying around as this one had some issues.

Thanks guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned