The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help me diagnose a squeal

coyotes

So I am getting a weird squeal/screech when I floor the car in 1st or 2nd gear in the upper RPM range only. It happens for less than a second, and I can't figure out what it is. It's coming from the driver's side of the engine. It doesn't do it in any other gear or speed or part throttle in upper RPM range.

-No AC belt
-new water pump
-new timing belt and pulleys
-new harmonic balancer
-p/s and alternator belt have 1/4" deflection

It did not make the noise before I tore it apart for the water pump and different turbo (used 16g). It's real high pitched, sounds like a bird screeching almost. I usually drive the car very conservatively, but have been ripping on it lately to make sure everything is ok after surgery.

Last edited:

coyotes

both belts have 1/4" deflection. I removed the AC belt today which got rid of some other noise I had, but I still get this squeal. no idea what it is. I guess I can try taking the other belts off one at a time and see if they are it. Might as well replace them with new belts while I'm at it.

It doesn't sound like a belt squeal to be honest. Has me a little worried. I was thinking it was something timing related, but all those components are new. and wouldn't it make the noise all the time, rather than under load for a second at higher RPMs?

Last edited:

BENE38A

is something leaking? boost leak that makes itself present under alot of pressure?

coyotes

I am not sure if it is a boost leak but it could be. I have two couplers that don't have so great of fitment, I've ordered replacements to improve fitment and a boost leak tester. We'll have to see what happens after I replace them.

The sound could be air escaping from a coupler, but I'll have to hear it again to consider it. A good suggestion though, thanks

prove_it

Is it the high school girl in the back your trying to impress?

coyotes

This turned out to be a crappy intercooler coupling. Replaced with a better fitting one and now it's all good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BENE38A

always good when it turns out to be something so simple, good to hear you got it sorted.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned