The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

brake pads?

turbohf

so it is time for brake pads on my Galant.

what brake pads are you guys running/suggesting/not suggesting for stock caliper/rotor setup?

Hawk HPS
EBC Red stuff
StopTech Street
OEM Mitsu
Centric Posi Quiet (metallic or ceramic?)
others?

should probably note that my car has a forged motor and a large turbo lol.

thanks.

Kibby

Im running ebay specials with braided lines. Ive gotten up to 115 and slammed on the brakes. Im still here. Though the last time my mbc crapped out on me. On the list of things to fix.

manikbastrd

I have used EBC Yellowstuff for years and like them. My car stops well with brembo rotors and EBC yellows and Stainless lines.

turbohf

I just replaced my BMC with 3g unit and removed the abs. noticed the pads where looking a little low. caught it squeaking last night. brakes did feel better over the peaking master/abs setup.

KiNgMaRtY

I've had Porterfield R4's in many of my current and previous vehicle. Currently my GVR-4 bites better initially with the R4-S pads with OEM Calipers/Rotors than my Evo with the Brembos and Stoptech Pads.

prove_it

Get a 3G master cylinder with the 1 1/16th bore. I love how much difference it made. Pedal is much more solid and takes less movement. I've only run oe pads, need to step up. I have done the Outlander rotor swap and even that helped some. I haven't really felt the need for aggressive pads with the outlander rotors and 3G master cylinder. I do have stainless lines too.

SleepinGVR4

My last set of pads were Hawk HPS pads, they were ok. The pads I ran before that were Carbotech Panther's, amazing pads. They were probably the best brake pads I've ever used, if you don't mind the massive amount of dust they produce. I stopped using the Carbotech Panthers mostly because Mach V stopped carrying them and if you get them from somewhere else you're looking at over $100 for a set of pads.

I just ordered brakes again and decided to try Akebono Performance Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad. I've read good things about Akebono and for $56 from rockauto you can't beat that for premimum pads.

manikbastrd

Akebono are what we recommend for most of the customers here at the shop. They are a quality pad. Not sure about the performance aspect of them.

G

Staff member
Akebono.

coyotes

I'd do the 3kGT brake swap, the stock size brakes are just going to fade quickly. A lot of the pads suggested are rotor eaters, I'd go with the Hawk HPS and some braided lines if you don't want to upgrade just yet.

cheekychimp

I'm not putting down a huge amount of power so bear that in mind, but I have to agree with coyotes that for a stock/mildly tuned VR4 the 3KGT brakes are a great package (even with stock pads). I haven't stepped up to performance pads yet and frankly haven't felt the need and I push the car pretty much every time I drive it!

I don't know that the 3KGT brakes have a great deal more stopping power if you actually do the math. A few savvy people on here have said that stock VR4 brakes and the 3KGT brakes have very similar stopping power hence the reason the 3KGT stuff works so well on our platform. They are however supposed to offer better resistance to fade which does seem to be the case on the odd downhill 'touge' I've tried /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

transparentdsm

im pretty hard on my car and i have stoptech slotted rotrs and hawk hps pads. i got them from BobDole and i think there great. super responsive, but there is more brake dust then i care for.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts