The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where did my boost go?

alik

Like, all of a sudden I just noticed that my stock setup cuts out at 3 psi, add opposed to the usual 12.
Literally, the car won't go any faster than 55 in 5th and all I hear is the fuel cut off switch.
Sorry to sound like an utter newb, but I'm stomped.

Last edited:

Kibby

Check for boost leaks.

prove_it

+1 Start there. It will be a big leak, very noticeable. Is there any change in how the car sounds while driving like that?

A stock set-up will probably have some leaks around the throttle body seals and injector seals, but that is usally only a pound or two loss. Also, I once had the clip that holds the waste gate arm to the actuator rust out a break. The actuator arm fell off and it ran exactly as you just described. You can check that real quick too.

alik

No noticeable boost leak. Yet, under pressure (driving conditions) it seems like the cutoff is at 3 psi. I'm stumped.
Gonna bring the car tomorrow to a bud with GVR4. He's a mechanic. Hopefully he can figure something out.

transparentdsm

i had this happen to me a few times, intercooler coupler popped off and then sat right back on it. everything looked together.

alik

That sounds like it might be it.
I did pull the front bumper off (it's warped badly), and in the process yanked the intercooler piping. Time to recheck those clamps.

holeshotmoe

My car is doing the exact same thing right now. Takes about a mile of very light throttle to get up to speed on the highway. If I mash it, it breaks down real bad. This has happened to me a couple times in the past and it turned out to be boost leaks. And what/where is this fuel cut switch you are hearing click on/off? Good luck and let us know whatever you find.

Kibby

Also make sure your maf didnt fall apart. I had similar symptoms when I installed hard piping on my egsx. Gave it a few full throttle runs then it crapped out. Gimped it to work and the guy I bought it from said the honeycomb crumbled.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned