The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Advice on torquing exhaust manifold bolt that keeps loosening (Stripped Threads)

EfiniX

Or rather a bolt. I know it's supposed to be torqued to 13'lbs, but with the heat wrap on the manifold, I can't get a socket on the bolt. I've tightened it by hand twice since installation and that bolt keeps running itself out. I'm thinking about putting a locking washer on, but EHMotorsports pointed out that the heat typically invalidates any real benefit in short order. So...

...tightening by hand with a 7" wrench. Just how tight should it be? Get it snug, then a quarter turn? 2/5ths? 3/5ths? They are new ARP studs, but that's because a few of the stock bolts were broken after the last round of work. That day sucked and I'm not looking to repeat it.

Last edited:

coyotes

Are you talking about the studs to the head or the bolts that connect the manifold to the turbo? The nuts to the head I used ratchet wrenches. If you can't get a socket on it maybe try a 1/4" drive socket? Which one can't you reach, is it the one by the power steering pump? You gotta remove the bracket to have room to get to it (although I was able to remove the nut with a 1/4" drive socket on a universal joint)

Last edited:

EfiniX

I'm talking about the nuts that go on the exhaust manifold studs in the head. Evan and I replaced those studs with ARP studs about a month ago. I've just recently noticed that one of the nuts has walked itself off the stud. Fortunately it hasn't fallen completely off the stud due to the heat wrap actually holding it in place at the end of the stud. Thank goodness for small miracles, the bolt that's running out is the top-left, arguably the easiest to get to. Thing is, I can't get a socket on the bolt because of the heat wrap meaning I can't get my torque wrench on it. Even if I could push/pull/squish the heat wrap down a bit to get a socket on, that tension would throw the torque wrench off.

Breaking an exhaust bolt is a nightmare, so I'm looking for a little advice on guessing at 13'lbs using a 1/2" wrench. I've actually tightened it twice now, and it's run off within a day each time. I'll probably throw a locking washer on it because why not, but I'm very nervous about putting too much torque on that nut and breaking the stud.

Last edited:

coyotes

I think you'd be ok if you estimate and just use common sense when tightening down, you have worked on cars enough to *know* when something is properly tight. I would say put a small dab of locktite on it or try putting a second nut on top of the first if there is room. Perhaps it is not tight enough if it keeps backing off? I have not seen exhaust manifold nuts back off like that before.

Or buy a crow foot wrench and put your torque wrench on it.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Exh mani nuts should be checked periodically after initially torquing them down. Especially if you're using a copper gasket, or one of the composite ones that seem to be so prevalent in the cheaper gasket kits. Even with the mitsu MLS i check mine every so often and make sure they're tight, even though these seem to exhibit less "crush" characteristics and seem to lend less to the nuts going loose. I'm running a copper gasket now and after a few miles they were all a bit on the loose side. Clamped it down some more and not all seems well.

prove_it

How old is your manifold? I wonder if it has some warping happening causing the nut to work off. It seems odd that it's come loose twice when all others haven't.

Could be just not tight enough, but 13 lbs/ft torque is very low and achievable by hand easily. Now your sure it's the nut coming loose and not the stud moving out right? Otherwise, tighten to snug then go about a 1/3 turn and that should put you around 15 lbs/ft torque.

EfiniX

Ah, this!
Manifold is an FP with 5000 miles on a head with the same. Copper gasket (if memory serves). The stud isn't any further out then its neighbors, so I think I'll put a locking washer on it and give it a 1/3rd turn.

Thanks!

EfiniX

Ok. I couldn't get the old nut off without pulling the manifold off the head due to clearance issues. No worries, thigh. I just torqued it down harder and scribed the end of the stud. If it comes loose again I should be able to tell if the stud has turned.

Fingers crossed...

prove_it

Good plan. Best of luck.

Street Surgeon

Use nordlocks, add 20% more tq when tightening (if you can't get a socket or crows foot on it just german gut-n-tight it) and you're done, they won't back off.

tektic

Are you using the factory copper locking nuts?

I have not had issues with theses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

FWIW, I've had the same set of stainless steel studs with washer, lock ring, and nut. Haven't had a single issue in 20k miles.

Exhaust Manifold nuts - 18 to 22 ft./lbs. A 7 in wrench is about 1/2 foot from the nut to near the end of the wrench your pushing on. Push perpendicular to the the wrench with about 36 lbs of force. Calibrate your fingers or hand against a scale to get a feel for pushing 36 lbs just before you tighten. Or, if you have a fish scale type device pull perpendicularly on the end of the wrench with a line to the scale if you have room.

G

Staff member
Quoting tektic:

Mitsubishi never offered factory copper nuts.

prove_it

What?

SleepinGVR4

Quoting G:
Quoting tektic:

Mitsubishi never offered factory copper nuts.

Wrong.

EfiniX

Well it ran itself out again, so I gave a good, strong twist in the parking lot of the airport. The scribe mark on the stud hasn't turned, so I don't thing it's running itself out. If it happens again, I'm going to cut the end of the stud off so I can run the nut off (without having to loosen the whole manifold) and swap it with a locking nut.

coyotes

If you're manly enough, drill a hole through the nut and stud and safety wire it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prove_it

Are you using lock washers? That might do the trick.

EfiniX

Quoting coyotes:
If you're manly enough, drill a hole through the nut and stud and safety wire it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Safety wire won't keep the nut tight. It's just there to keep it from falling off and onto the road surface if it comes loose. Unfortunately, the manifold is doing that now.

And I'm fairly sure that I'm not using a lock washer. That will change if it comes loose again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts