The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2.3 stroker questions on cam selection, valve springs and intake manifold

thedsmguy

Ok, on a 2.0 block with a 100mm crank (makes is a 2.3 right?) motor, what is the best combo as far as cam size, valve spring needs (since they don't rev that high anyways) and thoughts on SMIM effectiveness since it doesn't rev as high as a 2.0.

Currently set up with BC 272, AEM cam gears, stock springs, JMF intake manifold (normal square looking one). Engine management, fuel, exhaust, fmic etc is also there but fairly irrelevant to what I'm asking about I imagine.

My questions are, should a smaller cam be used because of the limited revs? Should a stock intake be used because of the limited revs, how about valve springs for the same reason?

Thanks,
Paul

This setup with a FP3052 was making 400whp. I'd ideally like to push it a little closer to 450-475 but really interested in keeping it extremely drivable and responsive.

minneSNOWta

I am about to use a mildly built head I bought that has FP3X cams that were designed for strokers. The head was on a 2.4 GSX that was just shy of 475whp. It also has dual valve springs and I have what I believe are Supertech duals maybe Ferrea with titanium retainers, which are required for the springs. The 3X is more aggressive than just the 3's. I read a thread on Tooners about the 1G "long runner" intake manifold working well with strokers over Cyclones and SMIM. I'm using one, but not ported. See if you can find some used FP cams because I see them pop up occasionally. No experience with the setup yet, but giving you an idea.

Jesus_Negros

f*** there's an article on cam selection for strokers.

Jesus_Negros

Can't find it. But I found this click star at page 26.

JondoeVR4

Quoting thedsmguy:
Ok, on a 2.0 block with a 100mm crank (makes is a 2.3 right?) motor, what is the best combo as far as cam size, valve spring needs (since they don't rev that high anyways) and thoughts on SMIM effectiveness since it doesn't rev as high as a 2.0.

Currently set up with BC 272, AEM cam gears, stock springs, JMF intake manifold (normal square looking one). Engine management, fuel, exhaust, fmic etc is also there but fairly irrelevant to what I'm asking about I imagine.

My questions are, should a smaller cam be used because of the limited revs? Should a stock intake be used because of the limited revs, how about valve springs for the same reason?

Thanks,
Paul

This setup with a FP3052 was making 400whp. I'd ideally like to push it a little closer to 450-475 but really interested in keeping it extremely drivable and responsive.

That article I read about strokers states that the 2.3 motor ingests the same amount of air, albeit more effeciently, @ 7k rpm as a 2.0 motor of the same spec @8k rpm. Bounce that around in your head. Its a start.

Also, I have FP2 cams in my stroker. Drives and idles like stock. I also rev it out to stock 7k redline due to the 2.3 exerting excess side load friction because of its Rod Ratio. Or I made everything up.

Brianawd

I just posted a dyno sheet of my evo with a 2.3 with GSC S1 cams. So take a look at that and it should give you a idea of what a 2.3l is like with smallish cams.

Also remember with a 2.3 your rpm redline is moved down because of the pistons speeds. So in my case I rev mine to 7,500rpm with a max of 8k.

What I can tell you is with the set up on my evo its feels like I'm driving a NA v8 now. Really it does feel like a Ls1 with all the bolt on's. Pulls all the way to 7,000-7,500rpm. Perfect for the street in by book.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned