The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BoV suggestions (flutter dump w/ stock BOV) - Resolved w/ Dodge Mod

EfiniX

I've noticed a flutter from my current BoV when shifting at higher boost levels. I'm guessing that my new cams have lowered my vacuum at idle enough to render my current BoV obsolete. And considering the BoV itself appears to be stock....

So, what is a good option for me? And Evan, I know you are reading this. Should I get a new MBC while I'm at it?

Thanks to all.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

If you have V3 full I would run it through link.

tektic

When I was looking I liked the Turbosmart. I have their MBC now
Product_komp_pb_nissan1.jpg

part number: TS-0203-1226

I still may get it.

At higher RPM and low throttle my bov flutters and makes the car buck... or is that my WG?

Last edited:

92_talon_awd

I had a Godzilla BOV on my last car, loved it. click

turbowop

Cams won't change how well a BOV works. Idle vacuum is not the same as going from boost to vacuum, regardless of cams used.

EfiniX

Actually great to know. Thank you. Still, it would seem I'm in the market... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EfiniX

I do have the full version and capital idea, sport! I'll will start buying the bits I need as running it through link solves the tunI my problem as well.

prove_it

To this day I swear the 1G valve (modded) is the king of valves to use. It's fast moving, cheap, NOT annoying, and can be modded to hold 30psi.

EfiniX

So dodge garage mod and be done with it?

prove_it

That's my opinion. I noticed a little low throttle surge with mine. I set up my link to switch the lines on the BOV and it performs flawless. Opens fast under light load like stock, but I've hit 27psi and had it hold solid. Never had a 1g BOV fail or quit on me in over 10 years. They are cheap and plentiful and lets you put the money somewhere else. My biggest praise is that it's not obnoxious loud and is pretty quiet, but still noticeable.

EfiniX

I suppose I should describe the issue, too. Car holds boost just fine up to 23psi. However, when I shift at higher boost (lower is ok), I get a fluttering sound like psht psth psht. no notice issues in drivability.

EfiniX

After watching some youtube videos and listening to the BOV sounds different cars with different problems were making, I think I can say with a fair degree of certainty that I'm experiencing flutter dump.

A new BOV will most certainly solve this problem. Will the dodge mod solve it as well?

C

strokin4dr

Dodge garage mod here. I love it. Holds everything I throw at it and works flawlessly. I was planning to connect it to a solenoid through ecmlink but its not ever needed.

EfiniX

Quoting coyotes:
Have you crushed it yet?

No, but I suspect that doesn't fix my issue. If it was a spring tension problem, I would expect to hear flutter while spooling. I get to 23psi with no issue, and hold boost at around 21 through the RPM range. I'm only getting flutter when I clutch off of high boost.

I suppose it could be leaking and I wouldn't hear it?

coyotes

They hold more boost when crushed. It seems they start to leak over 17psi, but who knows if that is causing your flutter issue. I can't say much more out of not knowing enough on the topic.

EHmotorsports

dodge mod fixes the issue properly. crushing it is old tech and not a consistent fix.

bmxr152

They will also leak with a dirty sealing surface. I have taken mine off and cleaned it after a blt and no leak up to 35lbs with a dodge mod.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts