The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

brake upgrade?

Hi guys, I am thinking about upgrading the brake on my 91 GVR4, I saw some posts of the EVO brakes, i appreciate if someone can give me more info on that. Also, what are other good alternatives for the upgrade? Thanks in advance.

Kibby

Ive got ebay specials d/s with braided lines front and rear. Much Better than stock and I havent even attempted to test them to the max.

CutlassJim

I'm not a huge fan of the Brembo path because you end up paying a lot more than you should for the name. The calipers still go for $500 in used/beat/faded condition. Brake upgrade levels should be something like this, stainless lines are optional on all levels but do give a better pedal feel.

1) New and better brake fluid
2) A more aggressive pad
3) Outlander brake upgrade (requires 16" wheels)
4) 1G 3000GT calipers and 2G 3KGT rotors (require 17" wheels with good caliper clearance)
5) Aftermarket calipers and rotors (easiest/cheapest is to use stuff for an Evo so hub size and offset are already good)

I've been in a GVR4 with 3KGT calipers and rotors and the brakes were better than an Evo with stock brakes. Rotor style is optional but I would stick with a name brand rotor. I love Centric/Stoptech stuff. I've never felt a car brake better/longer/faster with drilled slotted vs blanks but some people like the look and I also don't road race.

KiNgMaRtY

More info on the rear parking brakes and how he mounted the rear parking brake would be great. I asked for it on FB a few months ago but I never got word back on the details.

slugsgomoo

I'd have to find out if the guy who built the bracket wants to make more (and what they'd cost) or if he wants to just release a template...

here's the pic for those wanting a better look link to pic

CutlassJim

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
More info on the rear parking brakes and how he mounted the rear parking brake would be great. I asked for it on FB a few months ago but I never got word back on the details.

The parking brake looks like it's just on a bracket in the stock location. I'd love to see how the main caliper is mounted.

362Ryan

K Sports were already on the car. They will be upgraded as well after the engine is done.
The stock brakes had to go. They were the #1 priority to upgrade followed by the tired engine.

slugsgomoo

Quoting CutlassJim:
Quoting KiNgMaRtY:

The parking brake looks like it's just on a bracket in the stock location. I'd love to see how the main caliper is mounted.

The main caliper is mounted with a TCE bracket using their standard rear street/track kit click

As a plus, the wilwood stuff is substantially lighter than factory so there's a bit of a bonus in unsprung weight.

CutlassJim

Oh it uses the brake shield bolt pattern. Trusting all the shear force on 3 8mm bolts though.....

prove_it

I never realized that. It does seem a little iffy, but many have had them with no issues.

slugsgomoo

two 10mm bolts are probably not any stronger, and the rear doesn't experience that much force to be honest. I doubt it's an issue, given the ghetto stuff I've seen people do on front brakes before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

MDK87

I didn't realise that 3KGT hubs bolted on front and rear on the Galant.
I wish I didn't just spend $1300 on E9 brakes and now having a machinist try to work out how to retrofit an Evo rear brake drum setup.

I should read more... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

KiNgMaRtY

^^ Let me know should your machinist be able to figure out how to fit them. I would much rather go that route since I also already have Evo Brembos sitting in a box.

I'm sure if he can figure it out, there will be a market for it as going the 3K GT route isn't all that easy, especially for those of us staying 4 lug.

MDK87

^ So the 3KGT route isn't easy?

I thought the front hubs bolted straight on and the rears you just need the trailing arm and handbrake cable as well as the hub?

The reason I ask is, I'm looking at the 3KGT route as an alternative in case my fabricator hands me an exxy quote..

MDK87

Yes, I wish to switch to 5 lug.
Is there any reason in particular you wish to retain the 4 lug setup?
I will probably need to use my E8 wheels to clear the brakes if this all goes ahead.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned