The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Blown head gasket?

I'm on the fence about this it looks like it's blown judging from the smoke but I still have coolant and the vacuum seems fine and the runs fine I just don't know what could cause this smoke the car day for about 2 weeks before I started it and I took it out to move it around and then I noticed the smoke any help would be appreciated the guy I bought the car from said the compression was 150 150 145 150 I'm going to test it again but in the mean time if like to know what else this could click

transparentdsm

it seems to dissipate fast leaving me to believe it might just be water in the exhaust pipe from it sitting. let it run for 20 minutes take it for a 10 minute drive and check it again. i park outside and almost every morning i have a little bit of that smoke myself.

tek_88

Take off radiator cap (when its cold) and crank the car, if coolant shoots up then your head is blown. Another quick way to check is the look under the oil cap and see if it milky brown. Other than that you would have to do a leak down test.

chrisfullwood

Do the compression check. Its easy and will tell you 100% if your head gasket is blown.

We'll I don't have my stuff to test compression yet but I'm leaning away from head gasket i still have vacuum around 15psi and under the car is still dry I did notice some other odd stuff so I took video click click click what ever came out of the tail pipe smelled like fuel idk if it was condensation or water or what definitely wasn't coolant though

transparentdsm

take the down pipe off the car and run your finger on the inside of the o2 housing to see if there is coolant or oil or fuel or anything leaking into it. im thinking its just condensation in there and the smell of fuel is just how the car runs

transparentdsm

It is normal for exhaust to produce white smoke (steam, not actual smoke) on startup and until the engine and exhaust are fully warmed up (hot). This time is dependant on outside temperature and humidity. The lower the temperature and higher the humidity will generally extend this warmup time. In some weather conditions, it will never go completely away because the engine is taking in so much moisture from the incoming air.

Did this start with weather changes? Rain, humidity? Does it go away after fully warming up?

If the engine is ingesting water from the cooling system then you should notice a loss of coolant, or pressurizing of the cooling system, or overheating, or spiking indications on the temperature gauge. Basically, something else should be happening to confirm that its using water.

strokin4dr

It's very humid here and I always have condensation out the exhaust upon first start up.

It's not just at start up I'm leaning away from head gasket I still have vacuum 15-20psi and my coolant hadn't gone anywhere I want to say it's just dumping so much fuel but I feel like fuel wouldn't cause smoke

Lancer99

Dumping too much fuel would lead to black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

It smokes even if I don't rev it once I let off it puffs a little more than normal

manikbastrd

The lower relative compression on C#3 could be an indication of your problem. They have kits to collect bubbles from your coolant to check for fuel vapors. I had a lot of white smoke on my old car (724) and it was a bad HG. Follow some of the advice above to narrow it down.

I've done some research and I think it may be a cracked valve guide or a bad valve seal or a seal that hasn't seated properly is there any way other than taking the head out and checking them? And if I do have to pull the head is there a thread I can be directed to that has a 1-? Process of removing the head? Ive never done this before and I could really use the educational reading I've been watching videos and it seems fairly simple but I don't want to underestimate it any info would very appreciated thank you.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned