The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head Identification

belize1334

I've got a head here that I'm considering rebuilding and I can't figure out what it came from. Key features:

1g style intake ports
1g style t-stat
1g style cam gears
12mm stud holes (drilled out from 11mm?)

2g style exhaust studs
"G6/12" casting about t-stat

My understanding is that all 6-bolt heads have a number cast into them (i.e. "16", "18", "20", etc). Later 2Gs have either "G6/5" or "G6/15". I can't find a single reference to a "G6/12" head. And the larger 2g exhaust studs are very confusing... I'm currently thinking that it's a 1g 7-bolt that has already been drilled out for 6-bolt studs. Any ideas?

theevozero

Dsm 6 bolt heads have "2.0" cast into the head, 1g 7 bolt say "G6", 2g say "G6k" on early heads and "G6S" on later heads. As far as what the colt gt and evo's have cast on them, I'm not sure.

prove_it

Send BogusSVO some pics and he will tell you.

Are the intake runners smooth from porting?

Also I have 2g style exhaust studs. It's a common upgrade to prevent manifold flange warping and better gasket sealing.

Last edited:

BogusSVO

Sounds like a 1g/6bolt head now.

The casting number never has ment much to me, these heads get swapped around more than a SBC head.

As far as having the 10mm corner exhaust studs, I get requests for that mod on heads, I have done 20 heads or so like that since the 2g E mani is better than the 1g.

What you need to look at is head thickness and cam tower warp, about anything else can be fixed or modded to fit your build.

Also some of the 7 bolt/1g heads had the bosses for the front mount cam sensor.

GSTwithPSI

Picture of the 10mm head stud mod done by Dale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
WP_000774.jpg

WP_000777.jpg

fuel

When you mean 1G style intake ports - do you mean small like 2G/Evo1-3 or big like VR-4?

CBBOOST

I agree,1G 7-bolt head.
They are pretty much the same as a 6-bolt head appearance wise with the exception of the larger exhaust manifold end studs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts