The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Heat wrap suggestion

EfiniX

I got my car tuned today and it was suggested to me by Aaron (@ English Racing) that I invest in something to insulate the pipe coming off my turbo from the manifold. The FP racing mani doesn't have heat shield bolts, and the routing of the pipes on the ETS kit can't be changed for a few reasons.

I've used heat wrap before, but I'm wonder if that's the way to go. Anyone care to share their experiences?

Thanks!

minneSNOWta

This would look great with your stainless ETS piping.

swe_gvr4_1991

Here's what my wrapped IC pipe looks like:

223198-3359238.jpg

It's almost touching the FP manifold but temps are very low and i can easily touch the pipe after a run. The outlet side of the IC also feels much cooler after the wrapping.

Wookalar

Im not real sure why you have two couplers right there. Can't you eliminate that coupler and make it one pipe?

I suppose you could wrap them but that coupler section is still right in front of a major source of heat.

BluFalcon

I had the pipe that crosses over the manifold, ceramic coated, along with the manifold, turbine housing and O2 housing. It's a chrome ceramic coating, and it seems to be holding up fairly well. I can't really say how well its insulating against the heat from the top of the manifold, but with the heatshield and coated manifold, it shouldn't be that bad.

img.php

Granted I'm running a EVO3 manifold with factory heatshield, instead of the FP race manifold I did have in the car at one time. The angle of the fourth runner, put it REAL close to the coupler coming off my compressor outlet, so I opted to go with a ported factory manifold instead.

IMG094.jpg

Last edited:

r4pt0x

I used aluminium coated fiber/kevlar hoses in my FWD:

DSCN0154_small.jpg

Also insulated the water pipe underneath the exhaust manifold and the oil/water lines to the turbo with those.

They come in different diameters and should be available at any motorsports equipment dealer...

prove_it

I just went out and beat the poo out of my car.

Facts:
Coolant did rise to 206 with a 180 stat and water wetter, stock style radiator.
Iat's remained under 110 (gm sensor in elbow) with an ebay IC. IC inlet was at 145, outlet at 85, temp at pipe at throttle body was at 114.
Turbo outlet pipe running above the FP manifold was at an incredible 138. Air filter was at 87.
These are surface temps, I made 6 interstate pulls from 50 to 130mph. I can see that wrapping will help, but honestly I think a lot can be done on the cold side pipe to really lower IATs.
Honestly though, I'm not convinced it's really necessary for race use, but in a dd where heat soak is an issue, yes, it will help. I'm really not happy about the coolant temps though.

swe_gvr4_1991

Thanks for that report!

Hmmmm sounds like a scheme for a multi channel temp logger setup.
I might start cracking on one...

manikbastrd

The more I think about it the more I want to get the FP blanket...Yes it is pricey but it also seems to be worth it.

To the OP, I am going up for a tune @english tuesday I think. If you have nothing better to do, bring your car and we can talk vr4s!

prove_it

Quoting swe_gvr4_1991:
Thanks for that report!

Hmmmm sounds like a scheme for a multi channel temp logger setup.
I might start cracking on one...

er

That would be cool. I just used my infared temp gun and pulled to the shoulder then took temps. I wanted to do it immediatly to eliminate heat soak data.

EfiniX

Quoting manikbastrd:
The more I think about it the more I want to get the FP blanket...Yes it is pricey but it also seems to be worth it.

To the OP, I am going up for a tune @english tuesday I think. If you have nothing better to do, bring your car and we can talk vr4s!

Too busy to make it up there without a bit more planning. Why do you come to one of the Saturday morning coffee cruise-ins at the parking lot of Best Buy at the airport. The English crew is almost always there and there are some pretty sick cars to boot (like the 1600hp GT-R Lucas brought last time I was there).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts