The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

braking issues...

ok guys, so my fiance and I just bought a house and its slightly up on a hill. When i back down the driveway my brake pedal feels like it kicks back at me and the brakes seem to almost skip. I'm not sure the issue because when I'm going forward this has never happened. Any ideas? Like I said it only does it when backing down my driveway, and there has been no braking issues before. Thanks in advance!

coyotes

maybe ABS is screwing up, do you have 17s or larger? Wouldn't hurt to make sure the sensors are clean.

marvinmadman

Sounds like a dirty abs sensor or some aren't gapped correctly.

That would make sense. I know for a fact the the front right sensor is bad. Thanks guys, I hadn't even thought of that

fuel

Quoting spoolintsi:
ok guys, so my fiance and I just bought a house and its slightly up on a hill. When i back down the driveway my brake pedal feels like it kicks back at me and the brakes seem to almost skip. I'm not sure the issue because when I'm going forward this has never happened. Any ideas? Like I said it only does it when backing down my driveway, and there has been no braking issues before. Thanks in advance!

Mine does EXACTLY the same, whenever a reverse back down a driveway on an incline it trips the ABS momentarily even on just relatively light brake pedal application. I can feel the pedal kicking back a couple times and hear the ABS motor kick in to action.

My car is stock with stock wheels with slightly larger 205/60 R15 tyres fitted. The ABS doesn't have any warning lamps coming up and still functions fine when I have braked heavily enough for it to kick in.

Last edited:

prove_it

unplug the abs unit for now. Delete it when you have a chance. The ABS is junk on our cars. Practice threshold braking in some dirt or snow and you'll stop better than the ABS ever will. The ABS is very well known for causing issues such as this even on a perfectly good system.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned