The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g to evo x turbo manifold.

I know alot of people are going to flame this but I'm building my car for "stockish turbo class" for the dsm/evo shootouts. I'm going to ask if this would fly but the class is group together with dsm and evo's so I dont see why I should not be able to use the evo x turbo. The evo x turbo sits the right way for the downpipe unlike the evo 8 and 9. So I will be welding up a manifold and buying a evo 10 manifold. This turbo hold boost better because of the 12t exhaust housing in the upper range and can be upgraded latter to make more power and with have the best spool time. My first design will be unequal length manifold for stock location bolt on. I have a ETS Galant vr4 front mount kit with a short route kit so I have to shorten and maybe even rotate the 2 bolt flange.

prove_it

You must have got a free evo X turbo then, I take it?

Cause otherwise if your spending $1k on an evo X turbo set-up then why not just buy a FP green.

ktmrider

^^ FP green is not "stockish" as per his race class desire.

I know the SCCA is a bit funky on "stock" turbos, TD05 turbo from an EVO3 is considered a mod even on a TD05 1g vehicle.

prove_it

Yea, an evo X turbo won't be stock either. It will be obvious to the tech guy. Why not get a basterd 20g? that will look stock, unless they pull the intake off and inspect.

Just saying...

desant78

I've put a lot of thought into this, and hopefully next summer will make this jump. I can't speak from expierence that there are benefits, but people online claim to have pretty decent spool improvements.

Me personally, I want a twin - scroll vr4, that is why I want to go this route. I also know evo x's in the area, sourcing a turbo personally won't be very hard.

In my head, the best way to accomplish this is to find a stock evo x exhaust manifold, and cut the flange off. Then find a DSM exhaust manifold, and cut the flange off. then weld the DSM flange on the evo x manifold. Someone on tooners (use google to find it) has done this. I'd like to have the advantage of using all these new twin scroll turbos available for evo x's on my vr4. But, I'll warn I don't how this will compare to current cheaper options. I don't really drag race, so I'm not sure how much the increased spool would benefit that style of racing.

Good luck!

The class is the busher racing shootout stock appearing turbo class which is all dsm and evo against each other so since the turbo is still a to5 then it should be fine. To bad we can just use a evo 8 manifold and the evo 10 turbo but I think the flanges are flipped or I may just use a evo 8 turbo

prove_it

Why not throw a stock appearance basterd 20g in tdoh5 trim?

dsmless

I tossed this idea around alot, was about to get a cheap tubular ebay evo X and dsm header. Chop the flanges off and weld the dsm flange on the evo X header. And also use a evo X O2 housing, also from ebay as thats the cheapest way sonif it does not work your not our much money. The hardest part was sourcing a evo X turbo locally. But still just an idea

cheekychimp

I think it really depends on what your priorities are. If you want to be competitive at the shootout I think you could make more power for less money with some of the suggestions above. Similarly, if you are looking to upgrade later you could do that with either platform. However if you are looking to keep your car for some time and build it into a spirited fun daily driver I think the idea has a lot of merit. With the cost of stock EVO III 16Gs going up and given how hard it is to find nice uncracked housings to be rebuilt, I think there is a LOT to be said for investing in a custom twin scroll manifold and downpipe to fit the Evo X turbo on the VR4. Sure it won't be cost effective in terms of the power it makes but it would make for a damn good daily driver setup, and probably would pay for itself in the long run because there are plenty of second hand Evo X stock turbos around either in good condition or at minimum with decent housings. You would have an almost unlimited supply of reasonably cheap fast spooling 16G turbos if you are happy at that power level.

I'm very happy with the power my daily makes and because I have a nice collection of new/rebuilt 16G, 18G and 20G turbos on my shelf, I see no reason to change configurations at this stage but I am certainly thinking that this is THE way to go in terms of future supply of quick spooling, efficient and reliable snails in the 300-350 hp range.

SSGdave

It can be done but I do not think it will qualify you for a stock appering class.
I was going to do this with 1855 during its rebuild, but I ran out of time (long story)

so this is how you make it possible without hacking up the oem evoX manifold...
You are going to need an addaptor to make the transision from Head to Manifold. I have a Toyota background so I could already see it, because with the 4AGE there is an addaptor to use the Small port head with the large port intake manifold. I knew the same cound be done for the DSM/Evo X exhaust manifold. I had a friend that was going to mill one out for me but like I said, I ran out of time.

The other major piece you would need is a custom 02 housing.

I actually have 2 EvoX turbos and a OEM manifold. One day I was going to revisit this setup but for a 4AGE I have in storage.

Last edited:

ade

kinda off topic but i could see a twin scroll flanged manifold & o2 housing in our future if there's demand for it, maybe someone can talk to fp about it.

SSGdave

Oh I totally forgot about this but, there is a company in Europe that makes a Manifold and 02 housing for the DSM to run the EVO X turbo. It was all tubular and expencive.
Not really worth the coin though really.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned