The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Does this O2 sensor output look wonky

EfiniX

I was troubleshooting a temp issue (resolved as a loose wire) and while checking my v3 logs, I noticed my narrowband output looked a little weird. Before installing my Innovate WB, I had an Autometer NB and am quite familiar with the useless, bouncing needle. Now what I'm seeing in v3 is some oscillation, but also periods when it "sticks" at 0.2v and 0.8v. It never goes below/above those values, and it seems rather consistent in its behavior (cold/hot/whatever).

I've got a new motor and transmission, and my mechanic (EHMotorsports) took great care to make sure it all went back together with no leaks and such. That, and it's running great (although it won't reach its full potential until I can get it on the AWD dyno up at English Racing later this month).

So yeah, not trying to track down a problem per se', but an opinion would be great.

Thanks!

(since I don't know how to upload a log here, I'll just give you a screenshot)

EfiniX

Thanks. I recall it bouncing a it more than that at idle, but I wasn't logging, and narrowband gauges are not much good beyond filling that second gauge pod so it isn't empty once the boost gauge goes in.

C

prove_it

If you have a WB, why are you logging the narrowband?

EfiniX

why not? If the O2 sensor starts to go tits, I would want to know, right? I'm not logging it for tuning, just for information.

prove_it

Oh, so you still have a narrowband sensor and a WB.

EHmotorsports

Yes he is not simulating narrowband with his WB.

GSTwithPSI

I really don't understand why people delete the factory narrow band after adding a WB anyways. Unless you are utilizing every input and need to free one up, there's no point. The factory WB is a great way to error check your WB, and gives the system a bit of redundancy if nothing else. It seems like so many people delete the factory O2 just cuz, or because they don't want to deal with adding an extra bung. Seems silly to me.

prove_it

I did it because I didn't want to buy a new 02 sensor. I warranty out my WB sensor every year and keep it calibrated. Have had no issues in 4 years and 20k.

It does come down to opinions and different folks, different strokes.

Nice thing when the WB sensor dies, is you will know it for a fact. Lol. It barely runs with the sensor failed.

EfiniX

Quoting EHmotorsports:
Yes he is not simulating narrowband with his WB.

You would know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In any case, I need to pull another log now that the coolant issue is squared away. More to come.

EHmotorsports

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
I really don't understand why people delete the factory narrow band after adding a WB anyways. Unless you are utilizing every input and need to free one up, there's no point. The factory WB is a great way to error check your WB, and gives the system a bit of redundancy if nothing else. It seems like so many people delete the factory O2 just cuz, or because they don't want to deal with adding an extra bung. Seems silly to me.

exactly!!!
with my new O2 housing and exhaust I am making. it will have the factory O2 as well as the WB 02.

turbowop

I keep the stock NB sensor as well. It works well in the factory location.

I didn't like the way NB simulation worked with my WB so far down the downpipe.

Last edited:

dsmless

I just use the aem wideband and wire in the narrowband simulation to the ecu, I jus went out and bought an extra wideband sensor at autozone for 60 bucks and just warranty it every 8 months, I have to galants and this works out great

EfiniX

Well I have not complaints. The issue that got me looking at the log in the first place was a high-idle while coasting. Turns out my temp sender for the ECU had a loose connection. I tracked it down because the log was just showing a flat 175 degrees for temp, even though the gauge on the dash looked normal. Engine thought it was cold, so it ran in closed loop and had a high idle. Fixed the connector and fixed the problem.

The consensus has been that the output looks ok, and I'm not having any issues driving around. I'll just have English look when I take it for it's dyno tune in a few weeks.

C

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned