The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch won't fully disengage

Jesh

So I just installed a kevlar/ceramic South Bend clutch in my car, with the included 2700PP. I'm using a SPEC aluminum flywheel which I just replaced the bolt on friction surface. The problem is the clutch won't completely let go of the flywheel/pressure plate. I have bled the clutch system more that I care to admit, and even replaced the slave cylinder. I looked through the rubber boot the clutch fork goes through and the pressure plate is being compressed as soon as you start to push the clutch pedal. But if you start the car in gear with the clutch depressed you can bump the car and away you go. Ideas?

losermakesgood

When I installed my South Bend clutch I had the same problem. Adjust the clutch pedal. Check your adjustments. I ended up having to back the master adjustment out pretty far and even added an extended push rod.

turbowop

You shouldn't have to add an extended rod or bottom out the MC adjuster. What slave are you guys using? Hopefully the one with the smaller bore. And did you guys bleed all the air out of the slave by compressing it during the bleeding process?

losermakesgood

I used all oem stuff except for the south bend clutch parts. They are just a few miles from me making things easier. Yes everything bled correctly. No problems over the past year with it. Just initially

snailspool

Is the fork end where the slave pushes it, more towards the driver side of the rubber boot? Or the passenger side of the window? It should be slightly further to the driver side, and if not, you may need to shim, or replace, your fulcrum pivot.

gaylantvr4

I agree with tektic. At the age of these cars and heavy pressure plate clutches the pedal assy should be rebuilt with a clutch install. It makes a night and day difference in where the clutch engages. The extended slave rod is more a a bandaid fix for a worn out pedal assy

Last edited:

SSGdave

Quoting tektic:
No one mentioned worn clutch pedal assembly?

very very common. I would defiantly check that after adjusting the clutch peddle. then check the master/slave, fork yadda yadda...

prove_it

and clutch fork, pivot ball, new hydraulics....

Jesh

Update: Okay so I've installed a new slave cylinder, master cylinder and I'm confident I have all the air out of the system. Clutch fork isn't bottoming out on anything and clutch pedal assembly is in good shape. Is there anything else I should look for?

SSGdave

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif hmmmmmm...

if you already tried adjusting the pedal again, then honestly, you may have a clutch assy issue.
Like a dammaged spring on the clutch disk.

the only other thing I can think of is possibly a damaged clutch fork or worn out piviot ball.
check your fork alignment also while your in there.

Jesh

So after determining that I was getting all the throw possible from the clutch system, I finally gave into the inevitable and pulled the transmission again, (only took 2hrs this time, I'm getting faster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) upon close inspection of the clutch fork, throwout bearing and transmission splines everything is in good condition and where it should be. The only thing I could find that may have caused the drag is the fact that the old pressure plate is about 1/16th of an inch shorter than the new pressure plate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.

tektic

Was the pivot ball shimmed? Most people will say a shim is a good idea with an after market clutch setup.

I'm going through similar issues now. I keep loosing the adjustment for the clutch. My pedal assembly was definitely a problem. Then it turned out to have been welded in the wrong position. I have since cut and rewelded it. It no longer has any play. It worked fine for a day or two then no disengagement. Blead adjusted, Worked for a day or two. Today drove it all day, tried to start it at 5pm no disengagement.

I ordered new excedy master and slave today. I will see if that helps. I think I have the wrong slave cylinder on the car. It' might be one from a fwd. Not sure what difference it makes besides being a real pain to bleed. I have a worsening drive train noise issues too. The work on this car never seems to end.

Last edited:

SSGdave

okay, if there is no damage to the actual shift cables... AND everything is 100% in order, the diag would lead me to a possible trans issue. Syncro, Hub Slider, Shift Forks and Rails, that type of thing.

any metal in the trans fluid?

Jesh

Nope every worked perfectly until I installed this clutch.

SSGdave

what Flywheel are you using? *edit* okay I see it a Spec flywheel. you said you replaced the friction surface, but did you check or have it checked for straighness and flatness. Also does your clutch kit require a "stepping" of the flywheel for correct engagement???

and really checkout that clutch cover. Ive seen some fail to which only 50% of it would disengage

Last edited:

strokin4dr

+1
My first time reading this I was thinking that the clutch step was probably way too short after installing the new flywheel friction surface. Step needs to be checked and set EVERYTIME something is replaced with the clutch setup or you are just asking for problems. I hope you didn't put the trans back in yet!
Good luck.

Jesh

Update: Well the car is still jsb while I workout the clutch issue,

But this did give me an opportunity to finally scrub most of the road grime off the transmission /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

At this point I'm leaning towards ordering a different clutch since I've been unsuccessful at getting the Southbend to work, but I have a few calls to make on monday that will probably answer my questions, I'll try to let you guys know what happens.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts