The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wastegate Problems

I have a big 16g with an internal wastgate and am having some issues...I don't have any boost leaks..I think it has a 8psi spring in it but am not sure...when I run the wastgate by itself with no boost controller. It hits 8psi and then in third gear will creep up to 15...when I put a boost controller on...I can't get it to stay at one spot...it will go to 8 to 10 and then go up to what the boost controller is set at. If I close the controller all the way it boosts perfect but then the wastgate doesn't work and it will blow up. So I'm lost. My theory is is that the flapper can't stay closed long enough for it to go to 15psi...is this right thinking?

GSTwithPSI

You are posting conflicting information. You say it is an internal gate, but internally gated 16Gs don't have springs that control the waste gate; They typically use vacuum actuators.

What boost controller are you using, and how do you have it hooked up? Rather than explain the vacuum routing, post up a diagram of how you have it hooked up.

SSGdave

Sounds like a bad actuator.
Do you have a known working one you can swap in?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned