The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

idea on cost to fix this rust

Kibby

Passenger side has the hole.
Can this be fixed for under $1000?

strokin4dr

I would pull the sideskirts completely off and check for more rust down along the bottom of the car. My old car had rust starting there but, without the holes. Good luck!

GSTwithPSI

^Agreed. With damage like this, there is likely rust in other areas of the vehicle as well. It has been mentioned before, but that exact spot is a problem area for rust on the GVR4. The fender holds dirt and debris against the body right there, and the metal in that area is poorly prepped for the amount abuse it sees. I can say for sure, paying someone to repair that area in the condition it's show in your pictures will likely cost in the thousands. It will be a time consuming process if done correctly.

The real problem you have is the metal in that area is no longer salvageable. The rust has penetrated all the way through the metal, and at this point the only way to correct it is to cut away the problem areas.

Once the rusty metal is cut away, your next big problem is fabricating panels to weld back onto the body. This is the hardest part of the job IMO. Since it's not just a flat panel, you need to bend and mold the metal to mimic its original shape. This is the really time consuming part that starts to cost money, since it isn't your typical prime and paint body shop repair job.

Honestly, unless you have some cash to drop, this is the kind of job you need to undertake yourself. Surprisingly, it can be done with minimal specialty tools. A MIG welder and a few metal shaping/working tools would suffice. The good thing is, the area is hidden by the fender, so the repair just needs to be strong and complete, not necessarily look good. After you repair the metal, you need to seal it up with POR-15, Rust Bullet, or something similar.

There are quite a few members who have, or are currently repairing rust damage to various degrees. I'll link a few recent ones that I've seen below. Collectively, these threads outline pretty much everything you need to do to completely repair the area. This will give you an idea of the amount of work it will take, which will either need to be done by you, or someone else who is being paid. After seeing what's required, you'll understand why a job like this won't be cheap. Take a look at the threads below, and post back with any questions you have.

Bobdole's rust repair

MAJOR rust repair

My rust repair; minimal

Last edited:

Kibby

Sorry for the response time. Work was hell this week. Just got my taxes done and was a little disappointed to say the least. As far as questions go what/where can I get metal to replace the damage and where/what brand mig welder should I get. I was thinking harbor freight but im a little iffy. I lent my air compressor to my dad almost a year ago and he hasnt fixed it so im lookin at getting a 30+- gal upright and some new tools to do some rust repair as well as spoil my toolbox with some shiney new tools. Ive never really worked with a mig welder but I have a decent amount of patience and a steady hand.

GSTwithPSI

I picked up some metal from the local Tractor Supply. I forget exactly what gauge it was, but make sure not to get something too thin.

As far as the welder goes, it doesn't have to be anything fancy. I have a small Campbell Hausfeld 110v gasless MIG welder I use for little jobs. It worked fine for me. You just need to be careful to control the heat and wire speed, since the metal in the area is thin, and will easily melt through if you aren't careful. Not sure about Harbor Freight welders, but a few of them do have pretty good reviews on their website.

Welding is easy, anyone can do it. Welding GOOD is an art, and very few can do it. Luckily, for something like this, being a good welder isn't really required. I can say that with certainty, because I'm by no means a "good" welder. Just take your time, and you'll be fine.

BTW, where in Baltimore are you located? I'm over the Bay Bridge, not to far from you...

Kibby

Over the key bridge past dundalk to the essex area. If you know eastern avenue at all you can find me. I plan on practicing on some junk metal to get an idea of quality. Ive been reading on the web and learning. Once I get the wiring harness situated I can install the fmic and free up some space.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned