The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

need a 4-6" offset reducer coupler?

Kibby

According to this "fmic kit" I bought from dynastylcd this is supposed to fit the vr4 and big suprise after nearly 6 weeks of waiting for my parts and not even getting all the parts posted in the ad it doesnt. Ill have to cut down and shorten the pipe beside the radiator since i cant even close the hood. I've got an old dejon smic hard pipe kit from my scrapped gsx project and it looks like I can chop a section off and coupler it to the j pipe after I cut that down to a nub off the turbo outlet. Gotta order 3 or more couplers and clamps so its just mocked up barely hanging together but clearly this is not a bolt together kit. It was a waste of time and money not to mention the ic is full of oil and sludged up all along the inside. I hate having to rig things but I need the car running to do diag after the wiring harness is swapped to make sure the alt doesnt fry the harness again. Someone lmk if im missing something before I go choppin up pipes. Ill also post the position of the fmic. The fm is a little crooked but its nothing that lowers that pipe enough to clear the hood. Regardless theres like a 3-4" gap between the pipes.

EMX5636

No suggestions on the FMIC problem, but if u need the car to run before hacking things together, just connect the MAF directly to the throttle body and figure the wiring out.

ghostinthevr4

^Thats a excellent idea! If my eyes serve me correctly that FMIC doesn't look straight. Is the tab by the hood latch bent, something doesn't look right or it's the angle of the camera.

Kibby

Ive already straightened the fm. It doesnt change the pipe positon enough to fix it. Im hookin up 2 more braces in the bottom so it will be straight. I wanted to mock this up then take it off n paint the pipe n clean out the ic. Im gonna drive on The stock ic and piping for now to get the bugs worked out.

ghostinthevr4

I'm sorry to hear that if you have can find I good fabricator you might be able to cut and weld your pipe to better suit your needs.

boosted_85

I believe this is the extreme motorsports intercooler kit and I think you need to cut your radiator support on the passenger side wheelwell area to get the coldside piping up higher. This will also straighten out the front mount.

Last edited:

marvinmadman

^this. Looks like you need to pass that passenger side pipe on top of the radiator support and next to the radiator.

Kibby

Well im gonna get in touch with him and get some kind of refund. I should at least get the money back to buy the couplers and t bolt clamps. These pipes dont look too good either qualitywise

Kibby

Quoting marvinmadman:
^this. Looks like you need to pass that passenger side pipe on top of the radiator support and next to the radiator.

everything on the passenger side leading to the throttle body is fine. Im going to use the dejon elbow inlet and I might have to trim 1/2-1" but its better than stock.

Kibby

The gap for reference definitely doesnt fit.

marvinmadman

I think you might have the center support bolted to the wrong hole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Kibby

And I just moved it over and this is where it is now.

Im pulling on that pipe and thats as far as it goes.

Kibby

Hes saying I need to cut out metal to make it fit. Its touching the radiator. Should I start cutting that metal just so it fits? Insert extreme sarcasm.

Kibby

Annnnd the new gangsta lean position of the fmic.

F this s. Im gonna cut and fix it right. It doesnt fit and he wont budge on it. I just wanted a partial refund to cover the couplers and clamps. I wont buy from him ever again. I talked to him and he says it fit his car. So I guess some galants were bigger and smaller. Maybe everything shrunk becuz its cold. Either way. I guess its best to just do it yourself from scratch. Unfortunately I was being cheap and gifted on paypal. Wont make that mistake again otherwise it would have been issue filed from day one.

marvinmadman

Looks like you have AC. The lines might have to bent to allow the intercooler to sit lower on that side. What's making the driver side so high anyway?

Kibby

Thats not the bov I have, the pipe coming off the j pipe is not what I have. Looks like the only pipe may be the j pipe. And the fmic. So as I told him the pipes he sent me do not fit and are not the same pipes in that pic. Maybe by mistake he sent them but all hes doing is fighting me and refusing to admit he didnt send me a gvr4 specific kit.

coyotes

Hang the intercooler properly and just add piping to the kit as you need.

Sucks its all wrong but you can make it work.

I'll make sure not to give that guy any money.

Kibby

^^^ thanks. Yeah I tried talking to him and he said to look at his build thread and thats how it works. Then he said I would have to cut metal to make it fit.... except I didnt get the pipes in his build pics. Im going to move the ic back to where it was then im going to cut some ic pipes I have. I might wind up adding 2 extra couplers to mock it up then mark the pipes and have them welded together. Ill post progress after I order some couplers.

GSTwithPSI

As I'm sure you're aware, the core being cocked to the side is what's making your piping not line up. If you look in the picture of the kit installed on his car, it didn't sit straight either.
IMG01012-20130317-1445_zps67771ec4.jpg

That being said, the core is sitting much more level on his car, than on yours. You need to get it at least as close to lining up as it was on his car, or it's not going to work. The J-pipe you have looks to be the same one pictured in his thread, so with some work, I do think you can make the J-pipe line up. If you modify anything, I'd start with the mounting bracket for the core. The key to getting the piping to fit will be correct placement of the core. Even if you do get the pipes to fit with the core as is, it is going to look like sh*t, and possibly even impede fitment of the bumper.

The kit looks like it "fits" on his car in the photos, but there's no doubt the fitment isn't right. Personally, I'd box it up, send it back, and ask for a full refund. Especially if it was missing parts that were promised. There's no reason Phil shouldn't do that for you if you are that unhappy with the kit. Why people gift money to strangers blows my mind, especially in large amounts. As a result, if Phil is unwilling to work with you, then you're fucked. I'd do my best to be civil, so maybe you two can work things out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts