The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1000 hp build for 100/2000

Iceman

I'm beginning to build a motor I have laying around for my GVR4. Here are my thoughts... also aquariumopen for suggestions.

4G63t 2.3L stroker short block
Manley 9.0:1 (.040) 86mm pistons
Manley H-beam rods
clevite main and rod bearings
Eagle 100mm stroker crankshaft
The block is o-ringed and balance shafts removed with AMS balance shaft eliminator kit.
Kiggly racing main girdle
Crowley 288 cams
AEM Adjustable cam gears
Precision 6266 turbo

Boostdtalon

Most of the build looks good, but I think you're turbo is going to fall flat of the numbers your wanting. From PTE's website, that turbo is only rated for 800hp.

Last edited:

mcbride89

Gonna need more then that to break 1000. I'd go with 10:1 CR personally. Carillo rods. And a super99 and you may get close to that. There's so many damn variables. Besides what are your goals? I hope you plan to build the drivetrain and dump a ton of money into regular maintance that should come first.

gaylantvr4

for that amount of power i would use hd pistons and some good rods the h beams will work but for how long.

Iceman

For some reason either my phone or something didn't allow me to send the other half of my original post.

There are several other mods that I've thought about installing. However, I can't seem to remember them at this time.
definitely going 2150cc FIC injectors
swapping to automatic using rvr trans and 3rd gen slap shift.

Thanks for the seggestions guys!

thecman02

click

A turbo more suitable for your goal.

I would go for a set of Carrillo I beams. Definitely the Wiesco HD pistons. I would look for an oem 2.4 crank or if you must have an aftermarket crank your going to want to send it out to be balanced. I haven't been impressed with the balance from Manley.

You'll want to add nitrous to your build too because I've seen people having a hell of time trying to get up on converter even with high dollar aftermarket converters.

Last edited:

manikbastrd

Since you are gonna spend the money, I would look into the Borg Warner EFR turbos. The PTE's are notorious for bearing problems. Just my .02

EMX5636

The PTE bearing problems are only the journal bearing cartridge IIRC. My ball bearing Precision has been holding up great.

jogalant

Fuel to feed the beast. I wonder how much you'll need. Will 4 injectors be enough? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

biglady112

Not enough fuel
Pistons are garbage
Rods are garbage
Turbo will only get the average person to about 60-65% of your goal
Most 1000hp 4G63's use multiple injectors
High compression is not needed. Another fad. If you run an alcohol based fuel is the only time you should need to go that high to reap the benefits.

Wiseco is also another garbage fad product. Not enough meat to really get crazy with things.

Stick with a 2.0L. Much simpler and more reliable to live a healthy life at that kind of power.

Your list is far too short for 1000hp. I know, I make 800hp/556tq.

Last edited:

manikbastrd

Why do you say that Wisecos are a fad and are garbage? I have(and many many others) run Wisecos in dirtbike motors for years (2 and 4 stroke) with no problems...

brisvr4

Quoting biglady112:
Not enough fuel
Pistons are garbage
Rods are garbage
Turbo will only get the average person to about 60-65% of your goal
Most 1000hp 4G63's use multiple injectors
High compression is not needed. Another fad. If you run an alcohol based fuel is the only time you should need to go that high to reap the benefits.

Wiseco is also another garbage fad product. Not enough meat to really get crazy with things.

Stick with a 2.0L. Much simpler and more reliable to live a healthy life at that kind of power.

Your list is far too short for 1000hp. I know, I make 800hp/556tq.

Perhaps some positive suggestions as to what he should run May have been better than a post full of negativity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

mitsuturbo

If it were me, (and i'm certainly no expert on 500+ hp setups) I'd lean more toward a set of Pauter X beam rods, a custom set of Ross pistons, and a GT42r based turbo. I've never heard of Crowley cams, and cannot find a presence on the web for them via google search, but AFAIK Kelford and GSC seem to be the leaders in 4g63 camshaft technology these days.

If you're shooting for over 900whp, you're going to run into a slew of drivetrain problems, i'm sure. I think the engine internals would be the least of your worries, to be honest. I'm sure you'd be looking at ridiculous spec driveshaft/axles, significant front&rear differential upgrades, not to mention the puny/weak transfer case that our cars are equipped with. If i had intent to build a beast like that, i'd seriously consider a dry sump setup (including an electric vacuum pump) an electric/external water pump, a boatload of AN lines and fittings, and a whole lot of cro-moly cage/chassis work as well.

As i said... engine internals for a high HP setup like that are likely the least of your concerns. I'm just a JSB bench racer though.

turbowop

Maybe it's just me, but I think anybody shooting for 1000whp doesn't need to ask opinions on a forum such as this. I don't think I've seen a single guy making that kind of power start such a thread. They already know what's needed. Otherwise, I think you're in over your head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

EMX5636

Quoting turbowop:
Maybe it's just me, but I think anybody shooting for 1000whp doesn't need to ask opinions on a forum such as this. I don't think I've seen a single guy making that kind of power start such a thread. They already know what's needed. Otherwise, I think you're in over your head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Truth.

But as I stated in your other thread, most H-beams will fold at those HP levels. Turbo needs to be substantially bigger. I'm not sure what "slap shift" you're referring to, but most guys with built autos, are going with a full manual (B&M etc) shifter and trans mods. The shift boxes aren't proving to be reliable enough for drag use. Start by building a 4-500whp car, and see if you have the pockets and time to double that.

coyotes

just swap in an LS1. still gonna be cheaper and less work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Captn

Anyone ask about a budget?

That's probably something important, I think you should just restore a vr4 to its original glory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/gayhug.gif

transparentdsm

Quoting turbowop:

i agree with this, if your making/want to make this kind of power you should already know everything that is needed to do so and be able to tune the car as well, unless you have a bottomless checkbook, but if you did youd be in a GTR doing this and Turbowop would still beat your car.....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned