The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tranny only goes in 1st 3rd 5th???? after quick decel at yellow...

gvr4144

Drove for a bit and tried to force in second shortly after and shifter went limp. Check cable there fine cant put it in gear by hand and insight ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

strokin4dr

Did you check the cable under the hood and at the shifter base? Sounds like a clip came loose.

gvr4144

When j try to put it in gear by hand the shifter move as it should.

r4pt0x

One of the 4 clips, holding the cable guide at the brackets. Normally the ones on the gearbox are failing due to rust, so the cable insulation/guide can move away from the bracket, resulting in no force being transmitted to the shifter mechanism.

"cable relief" was the translation for german "zugentlastung" given by dict.cc... "shifter cable clips" might be another term for them.

picture (google image search):
click

gvr4144

That's what I meant when I said Jesus clip and BTW no rust on this queen

gvr4144

I've ruled out and traced everything up to directly the tranny does anyone know how the gear selector works within the ?

gvr4144

Tranny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

snailspool

If you cant put it into gear by hand, with the cable off the selector arm, then something is wrong internally in the trans.

r4pt0x

Quoting gvr4144:
When j try to put it in gear by hand the shifter move as it should.

So you are in gear when changing directly at the gearbox? Then it's definately something between the shifter and gearbox = cables. If not you should have mentioned it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gvr4144

I said "can't put in gear by hand". Just curious if anyone has had experience with this and if I have to get my tranny rebuilt?

EMX5636

Most of the time I see/hear this issue, it's the shifter arm on the trans either hitting an aftermarket intake pipe or a hose routed and the arm catching on it. Do you have reverse still?

If it is internally, I'll be a bit surprised, because 1st/3rd/5th all use different shift rails/forks.

gvr4144

Its stuck in neutral after trying to force in in second shifter arms are working as hey should even the reverse stop works. And yes all the top gears would engage but the lower half of the shifter column wouldnt .

r4pt0x

I've only seen a broken shift fork (the small ones at the lower ends of the shafts) once in a Mitsubishi transmission - but if this would be the case one of the gears would be stuck and the gears using the other 2 forks can be engaged, resulting in blocking the transmission.

The shift lever on the gearbox is pressed onto the shaft, but have a look if it slips over the shaft when moving in the direction where gears 2,4,R would be.
But if this would be the case gears 1,3,5 could be engaged but not disengaged.

Can you hear the shift ring locking onto the gear when moving intp 2/4/R?
I've seen a broken 4th gear wheel once where the shift gearing was separated from the gear wheel, but even our oldest mechanic couldn't remember of such a failure in his 40+ years. So having 2 gear wheels with this failure would be near to impossible...

How hard did you push to force in the 2nd gear? Mitsu transmissions are one of the smoothest and easiest to operate, the only reason you need to force in a gear would be way too high rpm/speed for the gear, wrong or no oil or completely worn synchro rings...

mitsuturbo

The cables sometimes separate beneath the rubber sheath, just past the cable bracket on the transmission. This causes exactly what you're describing. Check to make sure the cable isn't pushing itself apart against the shifter linkage. (this is a 2 person operation, one to move the shifter in the cabin, and one to watch the cable)

curtis

Check the bracket on the trans.....it has two bolts mounting the bracket to the case and then two more set in rubber attaching the top piece to the bottom piece. I always weld those two together, rubber mounts are just there to keep vibrations off the cables that transmit to the shifter handle.

BENE38A

what mitsuturbo said, i recently did a transmission swap and the upper boot right below the clip on the bracket was torn, the cable when put into 2nd 4th and reverse would bulge out the side of the boot instead of pushing the lever arm and engaging in gear

Last edited:

gvr4144

I'll run through it again when I make it out to the shop depending on weather but I appreciate the insight. And my friend mentioned sliders inside the tranny and it sounds like it sounds like that may be the cause..?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts