The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is this cam useable?

Fiascoxl

I would'nt use it, I have never seen one visually grooved like. I am pretty sure it can be repaired though, but the cost of that may not be as effective as finding a used replacement. Try here click

AllanL

repairable...

it can be re-sleeved, just like what they do to block piston bores to return to stock bore...

are all the bearings like this, especially where the front [cam gear] oil seal sits?

donniekak

Get it polished to make sure there are no burrs. A groove won't really hurt anything, it will just hold oil.

BogusSVO

Thats bad, the cam journal that that came from must be close to junk.

The cam can be repaired. Call delta cams, ask for John, tell him I told you to call.

He will grind it undersized, then weld it, then grind it back to spec.

Cost with shipping should be in the $50-$75

He has fixed several cams for me and is a easy guy to deal with.

prove_it

As always, Bogus to the rescue.

curtis

Ok is the groove constant or not? reason I ask cam may be bent. Also I'm guessing you bought this this way if not check your head. It needs work. Just two things I thought of

Spyder

I concur.

It looks like one side of the cam has a valley worn into it and the opposite side does not. I would think that would indicate a warped cam or warped head.

More inspection before you regrind that cam and install it.

14of2000

Its grooved all the way around, Sorry I didnt see that anyone responded to this. lol But thats the only part of the cam that is messed up. So would that still be something wrong with the cam?

Spyder

How does the head look? If it is only that area on the cam maybe there is something not allowing enough oil to that journal?

Good luck.

Either way, you need to figure out what caused it before you fix the cam and put it back in.

AllanL

Quoting BogusSVO:
Thats bad, the cam journal that that came from must be close to junk.

The cam can be repaired. Call delta cams, ask for John, tell him I told you to call.

He will grind it undersized, then weld it, then grind it back to spec.

Cost with shipping should be in the $50-$75

He has fixed several cams for me and is a easy guy to deal with.

is this the cost for just one journal? or for all the damaged journals?

BogusSVO

I only needed one journal on one cam fixed the last time. It was a Kelford in a RB26 build.

It ran me about $75 total, shing there, the repair and the return shipping.

Best thing to do is call Delta, ask for Jon, and tell him what is going on.

click

He will be able to give you a better idea of the cost.

14of2000

Quoting Spyder:
How does the head look? If it is only that area on the cam maybe there is something not allowing enough oil to that journal?

Good luck.

Either way, you need to figure out what caused it before you fix the cam and put it back in.

I actually got these from someone else. I never had them in my head at all, I would be freaked out if pulled this from my head lol

But awesome, thanks for the info guys, im gonna call delta tomorrow and get this sent out asap. Ill make sure I take pics, and post them after its repaired.

AllanL

Quoting BogusSVO:
I only needed one journal on one cam fixed the last time. It was a Kelford in a RB26 build.

It ran me about $75 total, shing there, the repair and the return shipping.

Best thing to do is call Delta, ask for Jon, and tell him what is going on.

click

He will be able to give you a better idea of the cost.

thanks!

back to the original post...

can't plastigauge simulate what'll happen when the cam is installed to the cam caps?

prove_it

You can plastiguage all the journals and know if you have excessive or insufficient clearance. Perhaps Bogus can enlighten us as to the necessity of this. Mike's cam probably came out of a blown engine. I'm sure it's appearance is from oil contamination. I think it's the first journal to receive oil from the block, not positive.

Honestly, IMHO, I don't think this is a huge necessity when assembling a head, I've done it hundreds of times and never had a cam failure, as I'm sure plenty of builders have too.

Last edited:

BogusSVO

I have only checked a few cams for clearance, mainly after a line hone.

I have laid cams in the journals and checked for rock, or warp of the cam towers, Installed cams in bare heads and made sure the cams spin by finger.

But I can not recall ever checking a cam with plastagauge.

It dose look like grit in the oil, but if it was dirty, or lack of oil I would expect more journal damage across both cams.

Now if the oil feed to that one journal clogged up that can cause the damage. But so would a swapped cap from another head.

Last edited:

coyotes

how much does a line hone cost? my spare engine came with a cylinder head with cam caps off another cylinder head. I have not had the head tested for bind with cams yet though, but I am assuming it will need to be line honed. I may just go with a different cylinder head..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts