The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo or front mount??

MRmeeTooxD

As soon as I try to build boost , my galant seems to like basically putt and sound like its backfiring. Does anyone have any ideas?... I have done a boost leak before an I had change spark plugs to bpr7es. An I dont see clouds of smoke either.

MRmeeTooxD

Boost is at 15pounds.... spark plugs were changed an I gapped them to 28. But it started just yesterday, I was driving up from a metra bridge. Then out of no where, I start to drive an my car feels like it has a small hiccup. Anyone ever had the hesistant feeling when u shift so early ? To the point were the csr would bogg just a bit?.. I get that feeling but just the whole time trying to gain boost. I have the sound of like not back fire , sounds like its at a rev limit (popppp pop po popppp pop popity pop ....hard to explain.

EfiniX

Pull your plugs and check them. Take pics and post them. And don't wait. here's what one of my plugs came out looking like. Bad injector = new motor in my case. Very similar sounding issue. Car was running great, sounding great, unless I tried to put more than 10psi through it. Then it would just sort of breakup.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

ECUs with leaking caps often like to make the car behave somewhat similar to this. On multiple occasions i've driven vehicles with bad ECUs that run fine up until 3-4k when boost starts building, then they start acting almost like they're hitting a rev limiter, fuel goes all wonky, and the car falls flat on its face as boost builds.

Check your Capacitors.

New to posting on here but I did have the same problem. How is your gas tank? mine was full of little rust particles that was clogging the fuel pump filter that sits in the tank. listen to your fuel pump and if its louder than usual that could be it. If your gas tank is rusty like mine I got it taken apart and refinished with a lifetime warranty for around 350. Best of luck.

gvr4ever

All the post are good advise. Are you running the factor air meter? Depending on the air temps, it easy to max it out around 14-16psi and the ECU will protect the engine.

15psi is probably about the max you can run without upgrading. Even then, I'd only attempt that if you have clean injectors, fuel filter, rewired fuel pump, and 93 pump.

gvr4ever

As to your original question. The stock IC is holding your back. Your turbo is good for at least 16psi all day long (as long as its in good shape), but that IC will heat soak and kill all your power.

Look up record 14b turbo times.

MRmeeTooxD

Sorry I was super busy this week. I came back from a 5 lug swap on 271. An took a while but its done. Now for my car, I check spark plus an they stl had white tip. An my gapping was off, so regaping was done. Also instead of pluging wires back in, decided just to plug in coil on plug. Suprisingly, I took a test drive an ut drove like it was fresh ... but it still has a sudden studder every 13secs. So once I was on the straight away block boost wasnt going... what about a tps?

And thank you guys for the responses I appriciate all the repsponses.

gvr4ever

Its really hard to say. Missing spark or fuel often sounds and acts the same. I'd drop the boost as much as you can till you figure it out though.

I had that problem once and new spark plug wires fixed it. Have you ever had the ECU rebuilt?

manikbastrd

Sounds like fuel cut. Do you have ECMLink or a datalogger? I would check the fuel filters if I were you. Also, is your idle weird at all or is it pretty normal? Any smoke? Best of luck! I had almost the exact same symptoms with spark blowout on 724 when I had bad plugs/gap.

Last edited:

MRmeeTooxD

Solved!!!!!:D ...boost leak on the top hose. Also, spark plug wire was bad on number 4!!! So now the coil pack dont spark on the outside an pulls great ... crazy at 11 pounds full throttle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif! Thanks for all the help especially my partner chi271!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned