The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No start

alik

The engine turns over, but won't fire.
Ran previously with starter fluid. Has spark, ignition pulse, fuel, air. Just swapped the plugs. BR7ES.
Ran before on some substitute plugs, and those came out (were in the car for less than 1 running hour) looking like this.

Clearly the car is running rich, actually, not running at all, but I'm at a loss...

MellowVR4

check the coolant temp sensor.

alik

The entire CTS bundle was replaced prior to firing the car. So the issue is not with the wiring, but could a faulty temp sensor cause the car to run this rich?

MellowVR4

oh yeah!

BENE38A

where is the coolant temp sensor is it the plug that screws into the thermostat housing

alik

Hmm, thinking out loud, when the car ran, the temp gauge came up to normal without any issues. Could it still be that the temp sensor is malfunctioning if the temp gauge read "12 o'clock" when the engine is hot?

ktmrider

^^ There are two temp sensors, one for the gauge ( single wire ) and one for the ECU ( two wires ).

You have a logger? Of course you do, this is a 20+ year old car. See what the ECU thinks the coolant temp is, yes it will dump a bunch of extra fuel if it thinks things are way cold.

alik

My logger has been sitting for so long, I don't even know where it is. :/

I think I'll start by swapping the ECU temp sensor, and see what's cooking.

That's the bad boy, right?
getimage.php

alik

Replaced the CTS (coolant temp sensor). Still no start.
Mechanic says "too much fuel".

His guess is that the ECU is f***ing up. My guess is that I'm close to ripping a stick of dynamite under this f***ing car simply out of frustration.

Help!!!

strokin4dr

I had a bad sensor ground wire causing this issue on my car. Check all the wiring and put a scanner/logger on the car to see what temp the ecu thinks it's at. Probably going to read -40.

Fish

If the sensor reads -40 unplug it, should still read -40. Then use a jumper wire or paper clip to jump the two terminals together. It should then read about 250ish. If it does this your wiring is good and you need a new sensor.

If the temp is stuck at -40 even with the connector jumped you have an open wire somewhere. This will cause it to run very rich. If it is stuck at around 250 with the connector unplugged and NOT jumped together your signal wire is shorted to ground. This will cause the car to run very lean.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

alik

Thanks!
Turned out bad fuel was the culprit. I still have an engine check light on. Gonna have to dig up my logger...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned