The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Talk to me about lifters.

cheekychimp

Mine are shot and I need to get a new set.

I have been told that sourcing them in the States is considerably cheaper than getting them here in Hong Kong. However I was also told that I should get EVO III lifters as they have a larger port/hole in the head of the lifter (i.e. in the ball). I find that strange because I'm pretty sure that you guys never got the EVO III over there. So I'm wondering if I'm losing something in translation here and that the Cantonese for EVO III which is literally just "3rd Generation" refers to 3G lifters.

Can anyone shed any light on this and or give me any recommendations with reasons as to which lifters I should source?

Paul.

brisvr4

I got a set of 3rd gen lifters from engbldr (spelling May be wrong) on ebay years ago and they haven't missed a beat mate.

BogusSVO

Yes Engnbldr, on ebay. 3g HLA's have the 3mm top oil hole. Ted gets them from the same plant in Canada that made the for Mitsu. The Hyundai 4GJS are the same also.

Struc

Just bought a set for my Montero project for $80 shipped (in the US). They are ITM Brand.

click

89Mirageman

I just go to the local junkyard and grab them from a 00-05 Sonata/Optima. Not sure if that's an option where you're at.

paul j

I too have a question on lifters. My originals never did tic but is there anything in them that can wear out? What will clean them up if they are still good? Is there any reason to get 3g or chamfer them like I have seen on utube if they were always quiet?

LIV4PSI

I would buy new ones. Jafro has a video where he cleans old lifters, and there is a lot of gunk that comes out

mitsuturbo

I've installed several sets of the lifters Engnbldr sells. They seem to work well, as i've seen many miles put on a few sets. I'm running them now. I would recommend these to anybody looking to get new lifters.

Also, your choice of oil can significantly aid in reducing "lifter tick". I had good luck running Castrol Syntec 5w50, and recommended it to others which experienced the same results. It does a good job of making lifter tick simply go away, unless of course you've got a lifter that is just not functioning properly.

tektic

Cleaning lifters may not work as well as you would expect. Have you guys ever cut a lifter open? I cleaned a few sets of lifters the best I could then cut two open at random. Both had black silty sludge in them and larger chunks of things too. I didn't personally run the engine those lifters came out of but it did blow up. Even so the still trapped a lot of sh*t. Even with the big port 2g style.

Last edited:

tektic

It's Beter to search for than start a new isn't it?

So what do you think about these ?

Last edited:

AllanL

evo 3 lifters were still small port.

if the head is apart, Bogus's oil port mod should help as well...

Last edited:

tektic

Got a set from engnbldr. not as nice as the last set. The new one is on the left one i got last year is on the right.

Both holes are smaller on the new ones. Some of the caps are very loose and pressure can escape from underneath them. Not too happy with that. I'm going to try to crimp them down tighter. I emailed him about them. He told me his distributor passed away and has found a different source since last year. He can't get the other ones anymore.

Last edited:

tacolibre

I am in search of these 3g lifters but it looks like engnbldr's new 3g lifters are not as good as they used to be? any other purchasing options? can't i just go buy a set for a 3g eclipse or 00-05 sonata from rock auto?

idreamidrive

Quoting tektic:

Both holes are smaller on the new ones. Some of the caps are very loose and pressure can escape from underneath them. Not too happy with that. I'm going to try to crimp them down tighter. I emailed him about them. He told me his distributor passed away and has found a different source since last year. He can't get the other ones anymore.

I just picked up a set from him, too. Good thing I checked this thread.

tektic

When I asked about it he said that the holes are smaller to reduce lifter calapse at high rpm.

He also mentioned the caps don't need to seal oil pressure. I don't know if that's true or not.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned