The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Opinions on Bulfab mustache bar/solid subframe bushings?

LIV4PSI

I am considering buying both. After seeing Leon's bent mustache bar, and finding out Curtis has made a reinforced version, it seems like a good upgrade. My car is a weekend warrior, that is being built for drag racing. My goal is to run a great 60' time, since that is the key to low E.T.s on heavy, underpowered cars

How brutal is the vibration? Comfort isn't a big deal for me, the car already has no AC, power steering, cruise control, etc

Last edited:

CutlassJim

Leon's was bent to hell because it's off his Summit. The design and length of it make it much more prone to bending. Unlike a DSM/Galant the front of the diff is only held by a bushing that does nothing to restrict input torque movement. On a DSM/Galant the whole diff is bolt to the larger rear subframe which in turn takes all the torque.

The reasoning behind strengthening the mustache brace on a DSM/Galant to to restrict the movement of the subframe to help keep suspension geometry in check because the control arms bolt to it. You could make the mustache brace out of balsa wood on a DSM and it would never bend from torque.

LIV4PSI

I know Leon's was different, my fault for using a poor example. I didn't know the complete design was different though. Thank you

I am most concerned with 60" time. Sounds like Curtis' felt it would help when launching enough to mess with it for that reason.

Last edited:

thecman02

To cut a nasty 60 foot I'd look into running about .5* positive camber in the rear. When you launch and it squats you'll get a nice full contact patch. If I had time to adjust my suspension in between autocross and drag racing at the shootout I would have. I've cut 1.6's plenty of times on street tires before, but couldn't muster better then 1.7 in autocross spec.

I don't know if you have a twin disk or not, but between adding the twin disk and just Urethane subframe/boostx bushings it increased vibration and harness to the point of almost regretting doing it since I like to drive me car around town/daily it.

LIV4PSI

I don't have a twin disc, yet. I will step up to one once it's an absolute necessity, and only then.

I've driven a car with the BoostX bushings, it didn't bother me. I think I'm going to buy the Bulfab setup, and hope for the best. At the least, it should help me keep my axles and diff from breaking

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned