The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

engine will not start

AKBill

When I turn the key on all dash lights come on normal. Hit the start position and everything goes dead, engine doesn't turn over, all lights go out. Any ideas where to go from to correct this problem?

VR6Eater

Sounds like a dead battery or a bad ground. My old talon did that to me once at night. Next day found the main ground wire had come loose off the car. It was tight on the battery though. Once I tightened it up, it started right up.

mitsuturbo

Chugiak? I lived in Fairbanks for about 3 years. Battery connections are a common issue this time of year. I agree with the guy above me here. It's probably a bad battery connection or battery.

AKBill

Thanks. I have it in the garage now and charged the battery last night so will clean everything up and check connections. Hope that will do it. Its been down since last fall as I just didn't get around to deal with it until now. I am missing driving it so got to get it on the road again.

EfiniX

Check your clutch switch as well (although I think the lights wouldn't click off if this was the problem?).

desant78

^+1 to this. I would test it by using my hand to depress the clutch switch and attempt to start the car. Please make sure the car is nuetral! Follow the clutch pedal to find the push button. This happened to me, randomly one day my clutch pedal could not proper engage the switch, prevent start up. I believe the whole does go dark if you attempt to start without pressing the clutch, but it's been awhile.

Good luck!

AKBill

Cleaned up all the major ground connections and the battery terminals and put it back together after charging the battery and it fired right up. Thanks for the advise. Now just have to connect the laptop and check the settings and I'll be on the road again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts