The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gearbox Issues

3diamonds

Hi all

Well I'm on about my 5 gearbox due to the gearbox housing getting damaged.

The problem is the sleave that the trust bearing for the clutch is on keeps getting torn off the housing. Unfortunately I can't find someone willing to attempt a repair and I'm getting tired of buying gearboxes. The clearances are fine for the clutch and the gearbox is sitting in correct on the block.

So is there anyone that has come across this problem before or know of anyone?

If so do they know of a solution for this problem?

I'm running the short ratio 3.9, 4 bolt box

donniekak

Do you have the block, to transmission dowels in place? Are you remembering the rear bolt that goes through the engine block, into the transmission?

prove_it

I've never heard of this before. You gotta have something installed wrong. Like mentioned, are those things right?

JCorbo25

Do you have a picture of the damage?

ktmrider

If I follow what you're saying the damage is here is a possible solution: click

Common fix for Subaru 5MT boxes, TSK or Trans Snout Kit. Sure beats the alternative.

mitsuturbo

I'm almost willing to bet cash money that the "special bolt" thru the ear of the block near the firewall isn't being installed. Usually this leads to cracking the bellhousing, but i've seen something similar to what has been described here occurring because of this as well.

3diamonds

the box is all bolted up correctly with the previously mentioned bolts attached.

I have check all clearances including the clutch plates.

I was thinking that it could have something to do with the input shaft some how?

3diamonds

Quoting ktmrider:

Common fix for Subaru 5MT boxes, TSK or Trans Snout Kit. Sure beats the alternative.

that would be what i could use but does that sleeve go over the top of the old sleeve? becuase the sleeve is completely torn from the housing.

ktmrider

Quoting 3diamonds:
Quoting ktmrider:

that would be what i could use but does that sleeve go over the top of the old sleeve? becuase the sleeve is completely torn from the housing.

I'm not sure on the Mitsu kit, Scooby part covers up damage to the input shaft versus replacing. TOB inner diameter is matched to TSK sleeve OD.

How does the Mitsu sleeve "attach" to the trans? Scooby part has set screws that hold it to the input shaft, assume Mitus part is similar.

3diamonds

Quoting transparentdsm:
id be interested in this as well as i had this rip off my shep trans. here is a link to my picture.

click

go about half way down the page.

that is the same as what keeps happening to mine

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned