The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

charging system issue

MellowVR4

Hey everyone, ill try to explain the best I can. So about two weeks ago my alternator took a s#!t, replaced it, wrapped my wastegate with some heat wrap because maybe that was the cause of the alternator going bad? been driving it for a few days and had to take off the wrap to fix something on the WG. Anyway last night i drove the car, drove fine everthing was good, Then out of knowhere it felt like the volts went from 12v to a low 8v not accurate but thats the best way i can explain, Radio started to flash, wideband gauge went to E9 which is a low voltage signal to the gauge, started to misfire,run lean, I barely made it home. It started back up and seemed fine but then i turn the headlights on and the RPM'S where going down fast. I Think my alternator went out again but not sure, Im not gonna do anything till the weekend to see what i can find, If anybody has got any idea what might of gone wrong please chime in. Thanks to all in advanced

ktmrider

Bad alternator ( part ). Voltage Regulator died.

You didn't mention where you got your replacement alternator. Big Box store = Shite rebuild parts most notably, you guessed it, VR. They absolutely positively do NOT hold up against the heat from the turbo/exhaust area. Only luck you will ever have at the chain stores is if the refurbishment company leaves the OEM Bosch VR in place.

Pay big $$$ for an actual Bosch alternator or find a local rebuild shop that uses quality replacement parts ( like Bosch ). Chain stores use the cheapest rebuild parts, no matter what you do for thermal shielding it will die. Unless you don't mind swapping chargers and/or getting stranded every few weeks for the Lifetime warranty.

And now for the alternator relocation swingers to chime in....

MellowVR4

I figuerd it was the VR. DAMN I guess i have t pay the big bucks, or yes relocate it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

ktmrider

^^ My Relocation comment was supposed to be Synical.

If heat was/is that much of a problem why didn't very turbo vehicle from MMC/DSM go back to the stealership for 10x units when new? Parts is Parts.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

So your saying oem is the only way?

P.S I did get this from Napa

Last edited:

ktmrider

^^ Only way if you don't want to swap it out until you finally get a reman unit with a Bosch/OEM VR.

Or like mentioned find a local business that rebuilds them with "quality" parts. In ABQ we have a place called The Start Shop, $90 with a Bosch VR. Know of 10x units running around town, 86/2000 included, that are one-and-done ( no return for warranty ).

jnava

Staff member
Pay for a new Bosch and if you can, relocate. I went through a vatozone and paid for doing it. Get yourself the real deal and you should fine.

MellowVR4

So I'm most likely going to end up sending my alternator to boush if they don't have one laying around. Im not really liking the idea on relocating it to the back. What about making a heat shield? Or wrapping the wastegate? Or both? Is their anyone who has had good luck with any tricks of their own by keeping heat away from the alternator? Relocated and in normal position? I really don't want this to happen in a long trip.

James

You SHOULD be good with just a quality ALT. but any form of heat prevention will help

LIV4PSI

I think JNR made a pretty nice heat shield for his alternator

ApexHunter

I've got an auxillary pusher fan on the front left portion of my radiator. I switch it on when subjecting the alternator to low airflow and/or high amounts of radiant heat. I see a .1 voltage drop from the fan, but in most cases the system voltage stays the same as opposed to dropping proportionate to the amount of sustained heat exposure. In some cases, i'll gain .1 - .2 volt after the fan has run for a few minutes...but this is usually only when i forget to turn it on initially, so the alternator temp is just coming down and stabilizing i think.

edit: I also use a heat shield around a tubular o2 housing/upper portion of the dp.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

So today at work I found that I can get my hands on a bosch ALT, I gave them a call to find out if indeed this unit came with an actual bosch VR. They could not tell me for sure if it did or did not? All I can do is order and hope for the best they said? wouldnt you think if its an bosch rebuilt alternator that they would use actual bosch parts?? The part # for the alternator is AL4008X it is a 90amp. What do you guys think?

ApexHunter

You'd think so. Worth a shot, just make sure you can get your money back if it goes south on you. Cool that it's a 90a too.

MellowVR4

Im trying not to have to do this every other few months, not cool. But I might give her a shot, not sure yet tho.

desant78

FYI I had this same problem, using crappy autozone alternators and had 2 faile (3 total counting original) in a 2 month period. I thought it was because the I kept using autozone alternators.

That was not the case, being a newbie, I ignored the constant leak of power steering fluid from the lines/pump above. This fluid got into my alternator and destroyed it. Autozone atlernators are not the best, but don't make my mistake and keep swapping out alternators. I'd def check and make sure no power steering fluid is leaking from the pump/lines that run to and from the pump.

Good luck!!

MellowVR4

Yea i thought of that, but their is no fluid leaking in the alternator.

MellowVR4

So I sent my alternator down the street to get rebuilt, They claim they have high quality (premium) VR, So we will see, plus its pretty resonable price for them to do it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts