The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

174/1000 is leaking oil... I need some advice.

G0TB00ST

To all my VR4 family out there... I need some advice.

#174/1000 is old and it's time for some maintenance. I have an oil leak I cannot trace. First I thought it was the oil filter housing... It wasn't. Then I checked the valve cover gasket... And noticed that the valve cover bolts were a little loose. I tightened it up... Used engine degreaser and washed out the entire bay. I then drove 2 miles and then checked under the car to notice that the undercarriage was wet with oil.

I am the type of guy to just rip the motor out and overhaul it. The head would get sent out... I know it needs it and the bottom end would get fresh bearings and rings etc. not to mention all new gaskets etc. would I just be better off overhauling what I have... Or finding another 6 bolt and throw in? I really hate chasing this damn oil leak.

strokin4dr

I would start by pulling the timing covers and getting a good look at what could be leaking while the engine is in the car. Even if it's old, If it runs good and is just leaking oil then just fix the issue.
Probably could use a timing belt anyway while your in there.
Clean it all up with all new seals on that side of the engine. Throw in a new water pump while you're in there and then top it off with a new valve cover gasket and an evo metal "half moon".

If it were me and it has been a while since any seals were replaced I would do a cam sensor seal and reseal the oil pan if it looks iffy.
This would take care of just about any typical place that you usually see oil leaks. Rear main seal would be a lot more work so I just replace that anytime I have a trans out if it's been a while.

No sense to me to pull the engine right away and have a jackstand baller when you can take your time over a 2 day weekend fixing the real issue and having a running and driving car on Monday morning.
If you really want to build an engine for it, get a spare block and go from there. You can take your time with it and drive your car at the same time!
-Ryan

James

My cars ready for oil pan and drain tube fixes. Leaky leaky.

I just had to replace the season on the timing side also. Weren't leaking bad but they were leaking.

GSTwithPSI

Are the balance shafts still in the car? If not, I've had the plug in the oil pump pop out, and it seemed impossible to find where the oil was coming from.

WP_000516.jpg

G0TB00ST

Hey everyone.. Thanks for the feedback. I have not been able to play with the car in some time. The motor does still have the balance shafts. I am waiting to get my car to my buddies shop and throw it on the lift. It looks as if the timing belt and valve cover gasket are both in very good condition. I will give all the updates as soon as I get a chance to play with the car.

ktmrider

"Looks as if xxx are in very good condition" is a sure way to NEED a new engine.

Unless you have documented proof of replacement, especially the timing components, replace em.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned