The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Start up after a year of sitting. What should I do?

conradical

So the car has been down do to a bad turbo. I haven't had the time/money to fix the turbo so the car sat for about a year or two. Now that I've got the turbo done and since it was down I have been doing other stuff to the car. My question is what do you guys suggest I do before turning it over? As in oil and fuel or anything else you might think I should do?

G

Staff member
Drain the fuel tank and check for rust.

conradical

The fuel tank is in great shape and free of rust. I'm more concerned about the possibility of moisture in the block.

G

Staff member
How do you know?

tektic

Add some oil to crank case spray some light oil in spark plug holes, turn crank by hand... . your over thinking this.

edit: just don't run old fuel it looses ~12 octane a month, or something like that.

Last edited:

tektic

Well you have to figure there's no oil anywhere but the pan. so you can spray the pistons with wd-40 change the and try to get some oil moving by hand before it starts running dry at 1600 rpm. or you can let it run dry for 2 seconds and it shouldn't really be a big deal.

I had a talon for 10 years that I'd just take out and beat the balls off every few months. The lifters would tick for like 15 seconds after start up and then it was fine. No apparent ware after the whole time I had it. You should however check your fuel and brake line and rubber hoses and belts. That kinda stuff was always my problem. Broken alt belt left me stranded twice.

might be a good idea to pull each wheel off to clean and inspect the brakes too. If i had done than i don't think i would have had to replace one of my rear calipers. If it was moving smoothly before i ran it, I don't think it would have over heated.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
If the engine has been garaged all this time I submit this.

My car was stored for almost 3 years, and was down for most of it.
Engine was not turned over in probably two of those years. It started with the only issue being smoke from oil that seeped through the turbo seals, and or valve stem seals.
I stored it with probably a half tank of 94 octane. Car started right up and never had any issues, drove fine.

If you can get some oil pressure built, and you can disable the injectors while cranking, I suggest that.
Your oil pump needs to be primed up a bit, turbo needs some oil in the journal bearings, crank needs some pressure before taking a pounding, and if some makes it to the head it will be all the better.

gvr4ever

^^^

I think that is the main thing. I'm kind of in the same boat myself. Probably been around 12 months since the car ran. I was just going to pull the MPI fuse and crank it over 20 times or so. Even after that the lifters will probably sound horrible, but the bottom end should have enough oil.

I guess you could put a little oil on top of the pistons, but the car will smoke like crazy when you start it up.

I would go ahead and maybe change the filter and oil too. I am.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts