The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thoughts on repairing frame rails and pinch welds

LIV4PSI

So after owning a VR4 for a few years, my build has turned more into a restoration. I realized there are very few "nice" VR4s out there. Honestly, I have only seen one in person that I considered to be clean. Anyways, I am getting ready to redo the coating underneath the car, and in the wheel wells. So now is the time to tackle the pinch welds and frame rails.

First, lets start with frame rails. I know Curtis has made some before, is this something I could have a local shop replicate? There is only one spot that is dented in, but trying to remove the dent sounds sketchy to me.

Now for the pinch welds. One side is pretty decent, other side is rather messed up. I assume bending them straight would weaken them worse, but does it matter? Can certain sections be replaced? I don't really have any insight into how to approach fixing them

Its not like 1501 is ever headed for Pebble Beach or anything, but I don't want to leave any stones unturned.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Well, from what I know of most body panels, they are usually spot welded to other sheets.
You can always drill out the spot welds, and pull the panel off, and reshape it back to its former glory, and blast,prime and paint the inside. Final step, install with a welder, and then paint and prime the outside areas. Seems like a whole lot of work for something no one will ever see, but I know how you feel about bent paneling.

Curtis makes some frame rail supports/connectors, but they add to what is there from what I recall, but I could be wrong. I've only seen them put up against an existing frame, but I think they weld in, and reduce ground clearance in that area, as a result. Somebody else must know about those more specifically.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have straightened bent pinch welds before. I don't think it weakens them. There are most likely three layers welded together there.

I personally hate the look of those crushed, so I like to fix them with vise grips/hammer and dolly as well as I can.

89Mirageman

^^^Funny you mention that. Any time I go to look at a car I squat down to see if anybody used a floor jack on the pinch welds.

LIV4PSI

Thanks for the replies. I have seen actual replacement frame rails that Curtis made, they were on Terry's old car. I'm sure he has made connectors too, since the man is a mad scientist. The frame rails are structural, so it's not just about cosmetics.

Blacksheep, I'll give the hammer/dolly method a shot. I can remove some stuff and use some heat if needed as well. I don't need them to be perfect.

slugsgomoo

right, but those were in addition to the stock ones and got welded over the top, they didn't replace them.

LIV4PSI

It's all semantics I guess. But that is what I meant when I said replace them. If I could buy a set from Curtis I would

Last edited:

ducttapeguy

This is what looked like before I used pliers to straighten them out a bit.

They are by no means perfect, but still much better than they were and Im not done with them yet. This took about 10-15 mins per side with some robogrip like channel lock pliers

tektic

Necro this topic.. insted of new one.

How did you make out with your repair? I recently noticed the jack damage to my frame rails was more extensive then I thought. Both rails are almost entirely severed in spots from previous owners mistakes. It looks like the head of a sisor jack went right through it. I'd really like to strengthen up the floor for stability and handling as well.

I am weighing my options. I considered subframe connectors like Curtis made. I consider cutting out the top and droping in a 2x2 square tube in and closing it back up.
Or maybe the same thing but doing it from the bottom.
It would be nice to tie in the seat rails too but that's an after thought.

Or maybe I just drop it off at a body shop

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned