The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo swapped vr4

91Vr4white

I have a 92 gvr4 with almost 200k on the clock. I found a 2003 Evo 8 that's totaled for cheap tossing around the idea of a full swap. Drive train suspension brakes. Electronics everything. What do you guys think? Ability is not a problem just wondering what I might get myself into. Tried searching but couldn't find any real info.

Brunoboy

Because no one does it. There is one user on here that I know personally who had everything researched, had the parts to do it but ended up not doing it. Why? Not sure but he had everything and was capable of doing so. Stick with what the car already came with.

transparentdsm

its to much effort and work to do it. the engine and drivetrain require welding and the changing of mounts. basically to much hassle for the outcome.

Wizardawd

Like they said...GVR4 already has pretty much all that stuff and after all that work you will get not much gain, if any.

However, having all that means you can find something else to swap all that into. Like a Volvo P1800s (My swap of choice), an old school Mitsu, 30s Ford, 40s Dodge Pickup, etc. Use your imagination. Lots of cars that are begging for a better powertrain.

Wiz

Brunoboy

96-01 mirage would work too. I was contemplating making mine a Evo 5/6 but I didn't have a parts Evo laying around

Jesus_Negros

Rwd swap it into a starion.

pmp285

Someone here in the philippines swapped the engine and tranny. But locked it to fwd. rear subframe is too big... He said its not worth it to cut/convert almost the whole rear end just mo make it fit. It will definitely weaken the chassis. Engine the tranny comvertion looks sick though.

Brunoboy

That honestly is the most stupid decisions I have ever seen done since we have an awd and engine that's capable of the same things .

pmp285

Well we didnt get the turbo galant vr4 here in the philippines. Only the 2.0 na 63 fwd. the car he used had the 4g37 1.8l carb engine. Most of us do engine swaps and drivetrain convertion. We get surplus parts from japan every now and then from local surplus shops like brian/kama1

pmp285

The guy had the engine and tanny lying around and he already have a 6g with 63t and awd. He just did sumthing different to play around with

Wizardawd

Makes sense if you never got the vr4. But to swap it into a vr4....

Wiz

kama1

Jeff was that acg_jdms car?

Ive thought about this and whats killing the idea for me is wiring it all up.
Ive got a few spare 2wd shells down here,and evo engines and drivetrain prices from the 456 are dropping.

Swap it in a real e39a?no way.

tektic

Swap to a mirage, 3g eclipse or 8g galant. 4 cylinder talents are like 700 running. And should be a much more straight toward swap.

91Vr4white

Here was the idea guys. I want a 400-450 awhp car that drives like stock and I don't have worry about. Yes the engine can handle that nearly stock or with a few diff parts but not the transmission and transfer case. Yes I know I can get them built for fairly cheap, but I don't want a dog boxed tranny with straight cut gears for a daily driver. As far as cost there is no question, the
Evo swap would be much cheaper. I'm finding Evo 8's in 4-6k range. (Totaled)

Now if we are just talking about standard swap stuff (wiring little cutting and welding, BFF) then to me it's a no brainer and i really don't understand all the hate.
I've done many swaps before. 4.6 fox body's swapped Hondas a few from the ground up builds. I haven't really looked at the Evo yet so there may be something obvious I'm over looking. Its just an idea I'm tossing around. But can anyone give me more of a reason then it's just not worth it? My understand is the Evo drive train would handle the power levels I'm looking for with ease. Not to mention better breaks and whatever suspension pieces I can use.

LIV4PSI

You don't need a dog box to handle 450whp. It's also not just a little cutting and welding. Everything is reversed, so all of the engine/transmission mounts will have to be custom. The existing chassis mounting points will have to be redone.

The driveshaft won't line up with diff, plus the floor may be in the way now. You will need custom front axles. Out of the EVO suspension, you will only be able to use the shocks and springs, and they need to be modified. Rear Brembos means no emergency brake.

I have no idea how hard it is to merge harnesses. I know the EVO ECU has an immobilizer that needs disabled.

Last edited:

donkeylips

Quoting brunoboy:
96-01 mirage would work too. I was contemplating making mine a Evo 5/6 but I didn't have a parts Evo laying around

I was going to bring this up. At least the engine is going the right way, the current drivetrain sucks, its cheap, lightweight, not rare, and you can use some actual parts from an evo 4-6 if necessary.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned