The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4G63T 6Bolt Short block inspection

BogusSVO

4g63T Short Block Inspection
6 Bolt

A customer came in and dropped off a 6 bolt short block.
He was feeling a bit “iffy” about the rebuilt short block he had just bought. It was supposed to be drop in and run ready.

After a look at it in the back of the truck, we agreed it would be best if I pulled it apart.

It was dirty, looks like whoever rebuilt did not even clean the block.

How it looks during tear down.
Looks to have a new, but oxidized front case and water pump.
IMG_1706.jpg

New coated top NPR pistons.
IMG_1708.jpg

The oily dirty inside. Looks to have new bearings.
IMG_1709.jpg

Was it honed when it was assembled? To me it is not even a decent backyard job.
IMG_1707.jpg

The front case and water pump removed. This is a bit of new one on me, a freeze plug installed as part of the BSE, as long as it blocks the oil hole, it will work.
IMG_1710.jpg

A True 6 bolt turbo block, It has squirters.
IMG_1712.jpg

It has new STD King bearings. These will be kept, cleaned and installed.
IMG_1713.jpg

The coated top pistons.
IMG_1715.jpg

The crank looks decent, It will have the oil galley balls removed, so a proper cleaning can be done.
IMG_1716.jpg

Number 1 Cylinder has a bit of a rust ridge from a ring. I hope it will hone out.
IMG_1720.jpg

Some of the crud that has settled down on the rings.
IMG_1721.jpg

Another piston.
IMG_1725.jpg

The block will be cleaned, honed, decked and the block oil mod done.
The bores will be a tad loose, about .003 over std bore.

The rings removed, and the rods and pistons will cleaned, and the big ends checked for size.

The crank will have the oil galley balls removed, then tapped for a threaded plug. Measured for spec. and polished

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned