The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How's the cylinder look? Found the low comp culprit

Brunoboy

I bought 556/1000 knowing it needed work. I knew cylinder one had blowby and low compression . How does the rest look ? 3.5hrs start to finish me and 1 others first timer.
null_zps7331d3c2.jpg

null_zps362c15e2.jpg

null_zps59d5ba9c.jpg

null_zps502061e5.jpg

null_zps8b60bacb.jpg

Cylinder one :
null_zps7a662ba6.jpg

Last edited:

rdomeck

Looks ok? Just ignore the piece of missing piston, I'm sure it's not important!

992gnt

What does cylinder 1 look like? And where did that chunk go??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

AllanL

aside from #1, others look good with a little DIY honing to clean...

ever find out what caused that piston #1 edge to chip off? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

and where that missing went? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

LIV4PSI

I would be scared to run the head or turbo that came from an engine that is missing a huge chunk of metal like that.

Brunoboy

I bought the car this way. I bought it from Circuit here on the board knowing it had low compression. Has new timing belt components and gaskets. New Fp manifold with brand new Evo III 16g..... Haven't found the chunk, it wasn't in the cylinder...... Turbo is also still good. He said he bought the motor and didn't know it the cause of the low compression. Hopefully the chunk left a long time ago before I got ahold of it.

holeshotmoe

The piece is probably long gone but check the exhaust ports of the head to be sure it didn't hang up in there. Also, are those aluminum bubbles on the top of the piston?

Brunoboy

Well that's going to be fun, thought a simple honing would do the trick with 2G pistons. Hmmm I didn't notice the bubbles, ill have to recheck tomorrow.

turbophein

Quoting holeshotmoe:
The piece is probably long gone but check the exhaust ports of the head to be sure it didn't hang up in there. Also, are those aluminum bubbles on the top of the piston?

The bubbles look like coolant to me... dirty from the carbon

pmp285

Have the bore measures first. It might still be ok. I think the original owner of the engine rebuilt it with a broken piston in the first place to pass it off as a complete engine to get a good price... Cause most likely you will see pieces or melted parts all over the cylinder

dsm10o0

Put piston 1 down and take a pic of the wall where the melted is.

Previous owner was probably abusing it and misfired up top.

Brunoboy

Quoting pmp285:
Have the bore measures first. It might still be ok. I think the original owner of the engine rebuilt it with a broken piston in the first place to pass it off as a complete engine to get a good price... Cause most likely you will see pieces or melted parts all over the cylinder

That's what I was thinking. He bought the motor used from a member on tuners, the original motor is now with Steve001??? Nico, I'll text you pics in a bit and ill post it here as well

Brunoboy

Bump, Cylinder one, doesn't feel like there's any dips in the wall:
null_zps9779c6d5.jpg

null_zps3989c7ff.jpg

null_zpsfbbf2b08.jpg

null_zps9a67b114.jpg

Btw it is just coolant droplets on top lol.

strokin4dr

Doesn't look too bad, but still need to measure the bore to make sure it is in spec. If so, you can probably get away with just honing it and dropping in some new pistons.

Brunoboy

I sure hope it's ok. Thanks.

donniekak

I don't think you can feel a .0004" out of round cylinder by hand.
Go ahead, throw some pistons in there, and you'll have blowby that torches another piston, or maybe not. Why not be sure and build it properly?

Brunoboy

I'll have to get it measured. I'm awaiting help from nico so when he has time he can come check it out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts