The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stuck Hood

JNR

Did a quick search but must've used the wrong keywords or something as I can't be the only one this has happened to?

Anyhow, went to open my hood the other day to show my friend the engine and the pull handle inside felt stuck..didn't want to risk breaking it using too much force so later on removed the grill and was able to unlatch it from the backside of the assy.

Well the latch assy seems to work fine but it's pretty difficult to get access on the exposed cable to see if it moves.

Thinking about removing the whole thing but not sure if thats a simple procedure as a lot ofthe cable is hidden. Also not sure if I should just replace the cable as don't want this to be an issue down the road.

Is cable still available at dealer and does anybody have pn handy?

Or perhaps the cable just needs to be lubed or something?

prove_it

If your going to keep the car a while I would replace the latch and cable. It's old and gets packed with dirt and road junk. If I remember right the cable runs under the left front wheel well into the body. Not sure though.

JNR

I agree that would be wise to replace...I've kept the latch assembly clean and it works well but for some reason the cable doesn't seem to be moving so thinking its stuck inside somewhere since nothings been moved or changed etc.

Hoping its availble new still and imagine it was used on other cars too.

turbowop

Gonna have to pull the grill to get it open. This happened a couple times on 503 to me and once to the current owner. Pain in the ass.

Nevermind. I missed the part where you said you did pull the grill and got it unlatched.

Last edited:

JNR

Yeah sure is a pita! just glad we're able to get the grill off easily enough as compared to other cars but still.

prove_it

Sometimes only a sawsall with a long blade can open a stuck hood.

JNR

That would suck! if my gto were to get stuck id be screwed unless I chopped up the front with a saw...yikes.

omertaitalia

same thing happened to my 2004 350z, ended up breaking the front bumper pretty bad to get it open, glad the galant is a little easier to deal with,

JNR

For sure!

What did you end up doing to fix it? a new cable or was it latch assy?

I need to break out the asa program or whatver it is and get the pn and hope mitsu still sells.

Worst case could probabl buy something from mmc say and adapt it but prefer oem.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned