The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Axles

gvr4ever

Driver side axle that connects to the extended drive shaft from the transmission. Any trick to separating the extension from the half shaft? I know I've done it in the past, but it seems really stuck on right now.

I thought I was simply changing the boot, but part of the axle just came off where the boot ripped. Are the axles at Rock Auto any good?

holeshotmoe

As someone told me, hold the rig up by the extension in one hand and with a hammer in the other, knock on the side of the axle end, just below the center bearing piece. As they had said, the axle dropped to the ground. FYI, the axle is held in the extension with a cir-clip...just like the one that holds the LF axle in the transmission. To avoid damage to the axle and your foot, maybe you can lay them horizontal before applying the hammer blow.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yeah, if you hold this right above your foot, it is guaranteed to come apart after a few hits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

gvr4ever

Just got a new axle in last night. Been doing other stuff.

Can it come off while on the car? I'd rather not drain the trans and pull everything if I don't have too.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Which part, the rigid axle? It can, but you have to plug the trans hole quickly to keep the fluid in.

slugsgomoo

to get the axle off with leaving that intermediate shaft in can be done but it's hard. You'll probably need a large brass punch and a big hammer, and even then not sure you can do it, since your foot won't be under it. maybe if your face is under it so it can fall on you that way it'll come off. It takes some force to beat the thing past the c-clip.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned