The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Reverting back to R12 - a few questions

tsitalon1

Hey guys,

I've tried optomizing my system for the San Antonio temps here and I've done ok. I've now located a local source some good ole r12 here and plan on reverting back to r12, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Current system with r134 and 95º ambient behaves as follows: 45º outlet temps after 20mins of driving with blower on "2". If blower on max it raises by 10-15º. First 10 minutes is only 70-75º outlets.

System was flushed professionally and recharged a few months ago.

Here is a list of things I have done to optomize the system with r134a:
Replaced compressor
Replaced Dryer
Replaced Expansion Valve (napa unit)
Cleaned Evaporator and housing
Replaced all o-rings
Heater core bypass
A/C and Radiator fan resistor bypassed (fan on high when on)
Additional AC fan added to front side of Condensor (7-8" fan)
Here's my old thread Clicky

So know that I've located some r12, my plan to go back involves this:
Purge system
Manually flush all lines with brake cleaner
Replace drier
Pull vacuum for an hour - let car sit over night to remove all moisture.

My questions are:
Do I need to remove the evaporator/expansion valve and flush those as well?
How do I flush the compressor to remove the PAG oil? (would rather not remove from vehicle)
Do I need to change o-rings? (r134 o-rings compatible with r12?)

Anything else I'm missing?

Last edited:

galant651

first off i wouldnt flush out your lines with brake cleaner, its not good on the rubber. i would get it proffesionally flushed. as for the compressor, you can try to blow it out or pull vacumnn on it to try to get rid of most of it. other than that you have to pull it to drain it completely. most of your seals should be fine, shouldnt make a real difference between r12 and r134, just replace any that you take apart. and im not sure if the fan in front of the condensor is doing you any good, it might help when your at idle or under 25 mph but over that its just restricting air flow. thats just my 2 cents. good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned