The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Reconnected PCV System = lots of oil smoke

fastasleep

I reinstalled my PCV system, because ever since I had some oil leaks repaired around the oil filter housing/cooler, my dipstick has been popping out under the littlest amount of boost pressure.

I thought it could be due to the fact that since positive crank case pressure is no longer leaking from where it was previously, it might now be trying to escape through the dipstick. And since my PCV and valve cover breather were both vented to the atmosphere (intake inlet capped off), I thought I would see if reconnecting the PCV system would alleviate any positive crank case gases and solve my dipstick-popping issue. (I have no idea if this is a mechanically sound theory or not - I just thought I'd try it).

Since reconnecting my PCV valve to its inlet on the intake manifold and running the valve cover breather back to the intake pipe (between MAF and turbo), my car blows a decent amount of smoke in first gear - from take off, especially in the shift between 1st and 2nd. I'm fairly certain it's oil smoke. The idle is also rough and somewhat irregular. Could my PCV be dumping oil into the intake manifold?

I can't figure it out.

Additionally, I've been noticing oil saturation around my exhaust manifold gasket. Where would this be coming from? It doesn't appear to be coming from the valve cover gasket.

Here's how I have it setup.

Any ideas?

EHmotorsports

You created a vac leak after the maf when you unplugged the port on the turbo inlet boot. The catch can cannot be vented to atmosphere when using a Maf.

minneSNOWta

It would be good to read about how the PCV system works and proper catch can setups. PCV System . I followed Setup #1 and used two sealed cans.

fastasleep

So, I've already read the DSM Tuners article. When it shows "Setup 1" for example, and it shows a "catch can" with an In/Out between the valve cover breather and the intake, is that a SEALED catch can? ie one that is not vented to the atmosphere with a filter?

If I run a hose directly from the valve cover breather into the post-maf port on the intake, will that eliminate the vac leak and resolve the issue?

Last edited:

Brunoboy

That's how it's supposed to be..... Straight from the VC to the intake pipe

fastasleep

Ok, cool. I guess I misinterpreted the image in the Setups, believing that the catch-can was the kind of vented catch can you see everywhere and not one that is sealed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts