The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Blew my motor becase of oil filter failure

uncleben4rice

Yep it happen to me. Motor blew up because I used the wrong oil filter. WIX filters are garbage. Newbs pay attention. Genuine Mitsubishi or Bosch only. Now I gotta spend $2000 to get 654/2000 back to 30psi of boost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

uncleben4rice

Whats up dude long time no hear. Congrats on the competition. I have said for a long time, I wish my car was as clean as yours... That filter blew up on me. It had about 1000 miles on it. I know it was a freak mishap. But it is what it is. I drive hard and needed a rebuild anyways. That 4 inch down pipe could be a contributing factor for failure because of location proximity. I bought the filter relocation kit and 654 should be back on the road in two weeks.

EHmotorsports

I run Wix/napa gold all the time with no issues. Might be something else causing your issue.!

turbowop

Thanks!

So what exactly happened to the filter? I've never heard of anybody having an issue with a Wix or Napa Gold. Hell, for all the sh*t we all talk about Fram filters, I've never known one to actually cause an engine failure.

slugsgomoo

the only filter I wouldn't run is the mobil1 due to the round o-ring since they seem to be the most common ones to back off and let the oil puke. If you're running a 4" downpipe with a stock location filter I imagine your clearance is very, very tight.

Heat issue? I have my filter mounted where the abs pump was.

001.jpg

raptorWagon

Quoting turbowop:
Thanks!

So what exactly happened to the filter? I've never heard of anybody having an issue with a Wix or Napa Gold. Hell, for all the sh*t we all talk about Fram filters, I've never known one to actually cause an engine failure.

I have, one DSM friend out here and another out in SC had instances of the Wix filters backing off under boost.

marvinmadman

Boost causes oil filters to back off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

alansupra94

Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting turbowop:
Thanks!

I have, one DSM friend out here and another out in SC had instances of the Wix filters backing off under boost.

How does that even work? I recently changed to a front facing OFH in hopes of better clearance.

slugsgomoo

Quoting Spyder:
hey Slug what kit is that?

Not really a kit, and I don't know where all the parts came from at this point. Summit has kits though. The big benefit to mine is that it's got two clean outputs, so I run the turbo from one, and the cooler from the other. I've got an external thermostat (180*) that allows only 10% through the cooler when it's below temp just to maintain pressure.

parts_labeled.jpg

I'm using the forward facing housing, because even with 90* fittings, I can't clear the downpipe with the NT (standard direction) housing. To be fair, I have a T67 with 3" downpipe on an HKS manifold so things are a little cramped as is.

EMX5636

Quoting donniekak:
If you have an issue with filters backing off run a k&n and safety wire it. They come pre drilled for wire.

Little race/streetbike tip. Regular filter with a worm clamp around it also gives you a place to safety wire it on. But I have nothing against K&N filters either.

Street Surgeon

Buy a few pieces of bar-stock and have anyone with a mig welder (or whatever) put one of these together for ya.

Brunoboy

That's sucks Junius, whose rebuilding it for you? And that's awesome^ can you produce and sell these?

Wizardawd

Most of the time when a filter is backing off it's actually from the stud backing out of the housing. The liquid oil cooler has that stud that bolts in onto the housing and the filter attaches at the other end. If not tightened properly and probably loctite'd, it will back off. People think its the filter because they turn the filter and the leak stops and temporarily fixes the problem. Beware that over-tightening the bolt crushes the delicate sandwich inside the cooler. Which then causes your oil to mix with your coolant.

Been tinkering and building DSMs since 1996 and honestly all of the filters are usually pretty good. I've seen a few double seals (not making sure the old one came off)and the bolt backing out. But other than that, I've never seen a filter actually 'fail'. It's rare for a filter to fail. Of course these are items that are made millions at a time and only spot checked, so failures can happen.

Wiz

Street Surgeon

Quoting brunoboy:
...can you produce and sell these?

No sir, in fact this was just a picture of one that I saved when I saw it forever ago because I thought it was a good idea. AMS used to make something similar and ship it with their motors, and I have one that does the same thing but it's a different design. Essentially it's just the circular portion of the clamp with a peg that sticks out, you put it on the filter, tighten the clamp, and the peg rests on the block. That way if the filter tries to back off the peg stops the filter from rotating. Anyways, feel free to copy the idea, you could probably make one with a piece or two of bar stock and some JB weld if you wanted.

Last edited:

vr4play

I run purolator pure one oil filters and have never had one back off. Hell they are fairly hard to get off when I change the oil. I will never use a wix filter again after using one on my grandmothers car. When I changed the oil after the the rubber piece on the inside was gone. It was there when I installed it so I'm guessing it got sucked through the motor. The car still runs years later but that freaked me out.

AnotherNewb

Quoting Wizardawd:
Most of the time when a filter is backing off it's actually from the stud backing out of the housing. The liquid oil cooler has that stud that bolts in onto the housing and the filter attaches at the other end. If not tightened properly and probably loctite'd, it will back off. People think its the filter because they turn the filter and the leak stops and temporarily fixes the problem.

Wiz

THIS!!! I new a guy that lost a motor in his galant a couple weeks after he bought the car this same way.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts