The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help with stock turbo removal

TOM

Do it have to take the exhaust manifold to remove the stock turbo. Any links to a how to or step by step instructions would be a big help. I try to search on this site but I guess I don't know what im doing cause I cant find anything on that.

brisvr4

Lure Turbowop to your house with promises of beer and food! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
Or.... Check vfaq.com for step by step details.

turbowop

Haha. Tom called me earlier today asking about this.

Vfaq will help. Click on the turbo section and then click on the section about removal of the manifold/turbo/etc.

You shouldn't have to remove the manifold to remove the turbo, but it's been a long time since I worked on a stock car. I think when I replaced the turbo on 503, I left the manifold on. You should be able to pull the downpipe off, remove the oil and coolant feeds and drains, intake pipe, intercooler pipe, vacuum line from the wastegate and then pull the three bolts and one nut and the turbo should drop right out. It'll probably be a good idea to pull out the radiator for more room to work with as well.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

It can be done without taking out the exhaust manifold.... Unbolt the downpipe from the o2 and the return line, slightly jack up the do to push the turbo and motor up, break the four turbo bolts, lower the jack and the turbo will drop, unbolt the coolant and oil feed, pull turbo out.

JCorbo25

I usually pull my turbo out the top, so i remove the exhaust manifold in the process.

I guess you could drop it out the bottom, never tried. Just be careful of your radiator.

Brunoboy

It's not out of the bottom, it's drop it the way I said and pull out towards the passenger side and up through the top.

TOM

Thanks for the help guys. I got it off and found it to be broke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I need to find a cheap stock turbo that is in nice shape, anyone here know where I could find one?

raptorWagon

In the parts for sale section on here, either by sifting through For Sale threads or making your own WTB ad in the "Wanted Section".

James

I have a 14b for sale super cheap.. Cracked housings but shaft and fins are great condition.

G

Staff member
Tom, what's your idea of cheap? Cheap and "nice shape" is hard to find.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned