The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone have any experience with the higher model "Cheap" coilovers?

EMX5636

I've had pretty good luck with my K-Sports. They held up to a lot of crappy PA roads for the last 5-6 years until I blew one recently. I want to replace them, but don't have the cash to drop on the Ohlins setup. I get a pretty good deal on K-Sport, BC, D2 etc. Has anyone, or know anyone (GVR4 or not) run any of the inverted Tarmac Rally or Road Race series Coilovers? I'm not expecting a Ohlins/Hotbits comparison, but I know the valving is sub-par on the "basic" cheap coilovers and wondered if they were really a better setup.

JamesFoster

I had a set of the BC coilvers on a different car a few years back, and they're not bad for the money. They're pretty harsh, but you can definitely live with it. Also, I'm pretty sure BC/K-sport/D2 are probably all made in the same factory.
I would say that if you were happy with the K-sports you will probably be happy with the BC's. I've been in cars with both and they seemed to ride the same to me.

I actually have a NIB set of GVR4 specific BC's in my garage that I had bought for my other Galant, but then ended up selling it. I've been hanging on to them in case I got another Galant, but I don't think that's happening anytime soon. Not that I'm trying to sell them to you, shipping would be too much, just saying because I bought them for my own car and the only reason I didn't run them is because I got 674 with the Hotbits.

The hotbits coilovers on 674 are pretty amazing, I'm really surprised at how nice they are on the road.

Last edited:

dsmless

On 96/1000 I had 1g dsm Teins with galant specific camber plates and the ride was great, it was set on like middle stiffness, the rear I had to raise it to the highest "setting" to make the car back end even with the front, theres pics of the stance on this site. Overall was very happy with them . Would def recomend them. The new owner really likes them too and he is by any means easy on the them. My recent purchase has Ksport coilovers, and compared with the latter, well they just dont seam as well valved, on the hardest setting it was like half of the Tiens. But overall Im content since I will be just driving around with this car, nothing crazy just put it in drive and enjoy the road.

EMX5636

The car is a street car but I have some interest in some light road racing. That is why I was considering a higher model than the standard models.

rdomeck

I know that they are expensive, but I love my Ohlins. If you plan on keeping your car and driving it, they are well worth it!

EMX5636

I guess I'm not completely sure on the future of the car. I love the car, but I've been itching to sell it for a CTS-V for a couple years now. I'll keep on the lookout for partouts or anything. I'd love to pick up a set of nice coilovers for a decent deal.

slugsgomoo

why not rebuild the blown ksport, rock those for a while and save the money you would've wasted on a more expensive low-end setup on a set of ohlins. A bit more savings, the money you're about to blow on something sub-par, and the money from selling a decent set of rebuilt k-sports = Ohlins.

I can't see any reason to replace ksports with something that's not a huge jump, when you're looking at considerably more money on top of it...

turbowop

I've been enjoying these Muellerized JIC's. I'm not sure if he still does them, but pricing would be right in between the lower end coilovers and a set of Ohlins at around $2k.

EMX5636

Quoting slugsgomoo:
why not rebuild the blown ksport,

If I could just replace that one cartridge, I would. But since I build the car so many years ago, and got one of the first sets of them sold, they have changed their design. To replace/update the front pair (so they would match side/side) would be 3/4 the price I could get a set of them for.

Maybe I will look into the JIC's Mark. I didn't realize they were that cheap. Do they seem like nice step above the Teins?

turbowop

I noticed an immediate difference. They're not nearly as stiff as the Teins were, plus more compression travel is available if needed. They're more street compliant but handle as well if not better at speed than the Teins ever did.

EMX5636

Damn, I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I think I remember reading that JIC isn't importing any sets into the US anymore and will be releasing a specific US line. Someone speculated that they will probably be made similar to the BC, D2, Ksport etc. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for a used set. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

turbowop

I would call RRE or Mueller and ask what's available. Maybe they have a set laying around... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

992gnt

Make sure you find boots for the JIC's, or when they start leaking there will be no warranty from John. I speak from experience...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts