The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hyundai throttle body

LIV4PSI

So I sent a core into throttlebodys.com to have it rebuilt. He emailed me saying there was a problem because it was a Hyundai throttle body. After paying $245 so far, he want another $100 for a FIAV and ISC, and another $50 to tap a hole for an idle switch and the switch itself. That would bring my total to $400 for a throttle body, so I asked for a refund.

Anyways, I found a ton of conflicting information online about Hyundai throttle bodies. Everything from they are identical, to they are only 60mm, to you need a Hyundai intake manifold for it to bolt up. I'm hoping a trustworthy member can give my the truth?

89Mirageman

I know for a fact the ones from the 1.8L 92-95 Elantras are very similar to the 91-94 NA DSM throttle bodies. I think they have like one less vacuum port or something like that. I've sent Steve tons of these for cores. Sounds like you have one from a mid to late 90's Sonata. They seem to be closer to the 2g DSM throttle bodies and the lower section is completely different than the DSM/GVR4 stuff. I like Steve but $400 is just crazy. Just grab another core and send it to him. Seems someone on here had one of his modded TB's for sale for $50 recently.

LIV4PSI

I think you may be right. Steve told me all that needed to be done was a hole drilled and tapped for the idle switch. After asking for a refund, he offered to do it for free. Honestly, for what I paid, I was disappointed he didn't offer that immediately.

It is supposed to be 65mm once he is finished. He is still going to be able to accomplish that if it is similar to a 2g throttle body?

prove_it

I'd ask him. I couldn't find much info on the Hyundai throttle body, so that tells me that its not a useful swap. Good for parts though.

Couldn't find a solid answer on the size of the bore though, so not sure about overboring it.

Street Surgeon

Had a similar experience as well, he took FOREVER to get my throttle body rebuilt, charged more than he said he would, and returned it without ANY of the sensors etc. In fact, screw that guy I've also seen a few of his throttle bodies fall apart (shaft screws backed out) and that caused some major crap!

prove_it

I haven't bothered with it. I don't think 5mm really makes a 300 dollar difference.

LIV4PSI

My take on it was this. My car has almost 200k miles, so I have no doubt my shaft seals are slightly leaking. I like the design of the NT throttle bodies, because it allows for one less connection that can leak. I paid for uber boost seals, half shaft mod, etc basically all the bells and whistles. This made the price end at 240 shipped. Pricey, yes. I figure at least I can sell my stock throttle body and recoup some cost.

But what pissed my off was he wanted to charge my a ridiculous price for every sensor, without asking my plans. And I was really disappointed he wanted to charge me extra to tap a hole after all the money I spent. He even offered to buy it as a core, so obviously setting it up for an idle switch isn't a big deal

prove_it

Oh for sure, that would piss me off too. Tapping a hole is not a big deal. They could have just let it go, no cost since you already paid so much. I wouldn't pay for that. Also I don't get why a charge for sensors. It's part of the rebuild process to put them back on and set the tps right. Unless your buying new sensors from them and paying for those, there shouldn't be any charge to fully reassemble your body.

LIV4PSI

He told me that my FIAV and ISC tested bad. Not that they could of been used anyways, because the Hyundai ones are different. He wanted $100 to replace them. My car is a weekend warrior, so I'm going to run a full block plate. Not that I would pay that much anyways.

The only other difference he said with the Hyundai throttle body, is that there is no provision for the idle switch. So he wanted $35 for the switch, and another $15 to drill/tap. Funny you bring up the TPS, because I didn't send him one and he didn't even mention that

I do have a return tracking number within 24 hours, so that is impressive.

strokin4dr

Can't you just run a 2g style 4 wire tps instead of the idle switch?? Wired properly of course.

turbowop

First thing you should have done is tell him that Mike Valencia sent you. Live and learn.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

LIV4PSI

Wop, I've tried that before. I think they charged me more

89Mirageman

Quoting strokin4dr:
Can't you just run a 2g style 4 wire tps instead of the idle switch?? Wired properly of course.

Same thing I was thinking. Get a 4 wire tps and wire it up. Not sure if the 1g/GVR4 ECU would know what to do with that though.

Question for those that have one of his rebuilt TB's. Does he paint them silver or just blast them? The reason I ask is that if he just blasts them the bracket for the throttle cable and all of the bolt heads will rust immediately after you install it. At least they would in NC where its humid.

LIV4PSI

I can answer whether he paints them or just blasts them on Monday.

Since I already have a spare idle switch, but I would have to buy a new TPS, that is the route I went

LIV4PSI

So here are some pics of the finished product. I am still confused about the whole Hyundai part. It looks like any 1g tb I have ever seen. He decided to tap the idle switch for free, and I guess he included one as well. Part of me feels like I was getting hustled, but who knows

I had a custom throttle plate made, and it was bored out

Here is a pic of the backside

Port and taper, along with a half shaft mod

Overall, I have mixed feelings about the transaction.

Good
-turn around time was only 24 hours
-great communication
-product was as advertised
-tapped idle switch for free

Bad
-he tried to overcharge for every sensor and anything else that could be thought off
- he kept my old sensors (said they tested bad)
-port and taper job wasn't as good as I expected (only 1/4 way back)
-paint quality was sh*t

Wizardawd

Quoting 89Mirageman:
Quoting strokin4dr:

Same thing I was thinking. Get a 4 wire tps and wire it up. Not sure if the 1g/GVR4 ECU would know what to do with that though.

Question for those that have one of his rebuilt TB's. Does he paint them silver or just blast them? The reason I ask is that if he just blasts them the bracket for the throttle cable and all of the bolt heads will rust immediately after you install it. At least they would in NC where its humid.

I switched to a 2g TPS on #17 after I started having issues with the idle stop switch. Replaced the switch with a bolt and now running a 2g TPS. ECU does just fine with it, nothing different other than you have to extend the ISS wire to reach the TPS. Of course, making sure you get the TPS set correctly and it doesn't exactly orientate the same way so wiring changes were needed.

Wiz

LIV4PSI

Quoting 89Mirageman:
So he just painted it all silver after he assembled it?

I don't have any evidence it was before assembly and not after. There were just several drip/goop spots on it that annoyed me

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts