The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What turbo??

turbophein

the 16g just isn't going to cut it. i want a good streetable turbo but have been out of the game to long to know what the new setups you guys are using. trying to stick with my stock radiator for now, will get rid of it if i need to, i seen some pics of the civic radiators but these cars tend to overheat already, makes me nervous...

just picked this up last night.... click

Specs:

Engine:

•2.4 Arias pistons, balanced and blueprinted with balance shafts removed and ARP head studs.
•Forced Performance intake and exhaust cams (Cam1)
•Head rebuild with new valves, seats, guides and Gen 3 lifters
•EVO metal head gasket
•New timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley
•New water pump
•All new seals and gaskets
•RC 550’s
•Walbro 225 fuel pump
•Auto Meter Boost, AEM UEGO wide-band O2 and Auto Meter Oil pressure gauges.
•AC kept with new compressor. System needs to be charged and belt reinstalled.

Turbo

•New Forced Performance EVO 16G
•Ported and hot jet coated manifold and turbo exhaust housing
•SS 2.5” turbo back exhaust
•Manual boost controller
•Big front mount 24x12x3 with custom 2.5” IC piping
•2G MAS (Not hacked)

Suspension

•AGX struts with Ground Control coilovers
•Ground control front camber plates
•Ingalls rear camber kit
•Urethane bushings throughout
•Front strut tower bar
•22mm rear sway bar

Drive train

•ACT 2100
•4 bolt LSD rear differential
•Resurfaced flywheel
•New driveshaft carrier bearings and CV joints
•1.8 Manual steering rack
•New tire rod ends and lower ball joints
•Slotted and cross drilled rotors and SS brake lines all around

Miscellaneous

•DSM Link V3
•Rear steering removed
•JDM clear marker lights
•Battery relocated to truck
•17x7 konig Imagine wheels with Yokohama 215/45/17. Tires worn on the inside due to old rack and pinion replaced with 1.8 manual rack and pinion.
•New front and rear wind screens
•Alpine head unit and four channel amp
•10” bazzoka tube in trunk
•Rockford Fosgate cabin speakers

Interior is very good with no tears in leather. Overall car is in great condition, however needs someone willing to put the time into performance tuning. No longer have the time.

Last edited:

4thStroke

I am a huge advocate for the FP DSM76. It's the FP 3052 (which is a bolt on 3076R) with FP's billet HTA compressor wheel. I have logged 26psi at 4000RPM and was in the 440+awhp range (conservative guess since i did 440awhp at 24psi and about same timing, back in the day when I could get away with 27psi and 15* of timing out the top on 92).

I feel its the best option for a reliable (although expensive) bolt on street turbo if you want to venture away from the stock frame turbos. You wont be the fastest out there, but I've held my own against a 61mm Evo before. It's easy to stay out of boost on the street and pulls when you want it to.

Jesus_Negros

^ +1 Cant go wrong with that advice. You can find them used everywhere. Good luck and nice car.

galant651

i have a holset hx35 on 651. spool time it really good for a big turbo. there pretty easy to find and are cheap. you can do t3 or t4 or if you find one you can get a dsm hot side housing.

prove_it

What kind of power you looking for? I've heard great things about the FP 68hta. 16G sized/looking turbo that hits the 52lbs/min mark. good for 450hp.

What's your goal? Do you have supporting mods? Budget?

turbophein

400hp+ safely would be nice, without having to boost the crap out if it. there is a link to the car i bought in the first post. it has most supporting mods, finishing the fuel system, this week with regulator and braided line. also i don't think the fuel pump is rewired yet. need bigger injectors to, 550cc are not enough... everything else is there plus some.

prove_it

The dsm76 would be great, but it's spendy. The 68hta turbo is cheaper, but will need to make 20-25psi to get to 400+. A rebuilt FP green would work nice too. Solid turbo, won't spool as fast but IMO it's still a damn nice turbo that's hard to kill.

DynastyLCD

3052 or 3076 HTA all day long. my 3052 has over 50k and spools like the day i bought it! easy pumpgas 400 AWHP turbo setup. as stated above, pulls when you want it too, stays out of boost when you want it too, very easy to manage around town.

IncorpoRatedX

im confused your signature says 18g, but your post says 16g?

turbophein

that was my old car and setup. haven't changed anything on my sig yet. i updated the first post with the car info

speaking of that car... that fp manifold and fp18g was a super nice combo. never got to see what it could really do, was trying to track down a boost issue. ended up being the head, it had leaking valves.

Last edited:

turbophein

i guess its worth noting that i will need something that will work with my current intercooler setup without much work. also needs to mount to the existing exhaust

prove_it

Then the 68hta is your ticket. It's a direct swap. I've heard nothing but praise about this little guy. From time to time FP will sell them for around 850 too.

FP 68hta

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting turbophein:
that was my old car and setup. haven't changed anything on my sig yet. i updated the first post with the car info

speaking of that car... that fp manifold and fp18g was a super nice combo. never got to see what it could really do, was trying to track down a boost issue. ended up being the head, it had leaking valves.

well, just saying, i have an 18g for sale in the FS section right now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbophein

Quoting prove_it:
Then the 68hta is your ticket. It's a direct swap. I've heard nothing but praise about this little guy. From time to time FP will sell them for around 850 too.

FP 68hta

That seems like the winner! Bolt on and flows better. Now just need to fond a used one in good shape...

prove_it

You and me both, lol. They do pop up, but people tend to hang on to them since they love that turbo. You will need to watch tuners. I love the stock appearance of it. nothing like 400whp+ with a stock looking turbo. Last time I saw one, it sold for 700. Keep an eye or even call into FP, maybe they will have a sale on it again.

turbophein

my fp evo 16g has less than 5k miles on it, i am hoping to upgrade for less than $200-$300:)

on other news after 50 miles of my driving, i have awakened many gremlins!!! front end is clunking now, axles are clicking when turning, and something is squeaking in the rear. 3rd has an awful crunch at anything over 3k rpm. need to check the clutch adjustment.

it has camber plates up front i thing something is loose. i found the front sway bar nuts were loose, has to be some of that clunking... i will get to it when i have some spare time... until then its on a break till i get a good 15-20 hours into it checking and adjusting everything.

prove_it

Good man, I like your attitude. Treat your baby good. I gotta get my inner tie rods and front bearings done soon. Mostly preventive maintenance. What kind of power/airflow was your fp putting out?

I just noticed you have a 2.3L block too. That 68hta will be a quick spooling son of a bitch with loads of low end grunt. From what I've read is that the 8cm exhaust housing is a bit restrictive when it's pushed to 50lbs/min and beyond. Porting helps, but thats limited as the housing is cast nicely. You may want to call FP and ask about it since you have a 2.3L.

vr4play

I would consider the FP Ball bearing green. That is my next turbo when funds are available. Should spool fast with the stroke you have. It bolts right on you just need to change your turbo outlet piping some. Shouldn't be a big deal but that turbo is $$$.

turbophein

speaking of this motor, i originally thought a 2.4 was a stroked motor? but the PO said it was just bored out. you guys keep mentioning 2.3 block, you guys obviously know something i don't? i've never had or done research on anything other than stock bore 6-bolt motors.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts