The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

hotness

Well my vr4 ran hot. And blew the head gasket I fixed all that and I'm puttin it back together. my ? Is that its running a half civic radiator do u think thank is why it ran hot? It has a slim fan on it but it didn't seem to work very well. There also to my surprise wasn't a thermostat in it so I can't image that helped in any way. Do I need to get a larger radiator ( I plan to keep ac). It does have a front mount and that is most likly the guy I got the car from put the civic rad in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif what should I do???

turbowop

In hot Georgia, with an FMIC, and AC, I would suggest at least a stock sized radiator and a good shrouded puller fan. And put a tstat back in it.

strokin4dr

+1
I would run a full sized radiator and shrouding from the bumper opening to fmic and from fmic to rad would be ideal. Get an oem 195* thermostat too.

prove_it

I had overheating issues all summer long, then I swapped in the mitsu 180 thermostat added a bottle of water wetter and added about a half gallon of water to the coolant. It will only hit 215 during extended idling now. driving averages around 190 tops. I have link so it still goes into fuel trim learn too.

I highly recommend the 180 stat and water wetter.

Ok will do thanks a ton for the advice and yeah most definitely get a new thermostat for it I need to get some good fans

curtis

Something else often forgotten is just clean it. My wifes ac was getting weak last summer and sprayed the ac and radiator down with gunk engine degreaser and then washed it out really good and car is ice cold now and didn't add any freon since then. But as said above water wetter is worth every penny and make sure you bleed out all the air from the system.

Well fixed the headgasket. Still running hot put a thermostat (180) still runs hot the fan is coming on I got all the air out of the system water pump seems to be working just fine. I am still running the civic half radiator. But I've seen a good bit of other run the same one son I do t know Wtf this things problem is

Captn

I have a civic half rad and I had some overheating problems, but I think it was because I didn't burp the system properly I also have my fan go on all the time.

This was last summer 110 degree days.

Last edited:

Ok ima double check a few things friend of mine said it still sounds like head gasket problems but lets hope that's not the case everything is new the head was done by the same machine shop I've always taken my stuff to. Oh well the search continues

EMX5636

You will need a high quality fan if you want to try and keep it cool. You will also need an A/C fan on the condenser. It should stay cool, but I'm not sure how warm it will get with the A/C on.

I had overheat problems with a 180* stat and an aluminum 1G DSM rad with my Mishimoto fans. Even without the A/C on. I swapped to pusher specific SPAL (but you could use derale, FAL, etc) fans and now she stays cool.

Ok seems to be the head gasket or cracked head. I did have it checked but mistakes happen. So I'm pulling the head back off tomorrow and hoping by the end of tomorrow it will be running again and not running hot

Just a update the heagasket was blown. I had the head checked out and resurfaced so it is flat goin to check the block now. Could I have gotten a bad gasket it was almost instant with pushing water out the radiator. It was blown between 1&2 towards the front of the engine. Hope to have it back on the rd haven't really got to enjoy the car yet

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts