The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

blue smoke

paul j

A few months ago I had a lot of blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe and I thought the rings sure went bad fast. Shortly the smoke quit so I thought it can not be rings maybe valve stem seals but thought that would be constant also. Still occasionally the smoke happens, but more frequently, and I shut it off for 5-10 seconds and it is fine. I think it must be a leak in the turbo system somewhere. If you agree, what needs to be done and how do you do it?

tektic

This is not, nor are your other two posts subjects of technical discussion.

EHmotorsports

Might mean that this has been covered before and should be in the newbie section.

curtis

Pull the air inlet tube and check side to side and in and out on the turbo shaft. All turbo's even new have side to side, but in and out is a thrust problem and time to go. Sounds like the bearing on the exhaust side is going which is wearing on the seal, (they usually wear faster than the comp side because turbos have alot of side loading from exhaust gases during spin up....nature of the beast) if there's alot of oil residue on the inlet side your within weeks of a replacement. You can also look inside the inlet and see if the comp wheel has started to kiss the housing. If so just replace the whole thing. By the time you get a bearing and seal kit, new turbine wheel and compressor wheel your at new turbo prices without accounting for a comp housing and balancing. Better just to buy a new unit and have a warranty and piece of mind over a used or junkyard unit to save a 100 bucks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned