The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

engine will not start

paul j

1551 quit running at a stop light and was hauled home. No spark was at a plug wire I pulled off. Any suggestions on problem? Service manual says check ignition switch output on ecu. My volt meter was broken so I could not check it. Next step is to check out mfi relay but I can not get it disconnected. It looks like it should pull apart once you remove black tip from notch in white housing. Is there something special that I am overlooking?

tektic

Does the check engine light com on when you first insert the key and turn it? If not your ecu is no good.check for cap damage. This is what i have found to be most common no start cause.

paul j

Tektik yes the check engine light comes on for 3-4 seconds then goes out while others remain lit. Check engine light came on a couple times a while back but had no place to get it checked. When it quit running I had a loose ground to battery so I fixed that with wishful thinking. Of course that erased the codes. I did hook a volt meter (analog) to the data link and it gave the 8 or so equal pulses that my service manual says indicates normal. My volt meter did quit working after the test damn it.

EHmotorsports

Pull the timing belt inspection cover off. Turn the engine over and see if the cams are turning. If not then you have found your problem.
If they do turn then you will need to do the normal checks. Fuses, fuseable links,Fuel pressure, spark, ect.

transparentdsm

when the car died did it smoke a little under the hood? i had a power translator go bad, smoked under the hood a bit and then shut the car off.

paul j

I am pulling head because cams do not turn and timing belt is stripped. Is it better to pull the cams before pulling the head in order to get some weight off? I was told to not remove intake because it offers a handle for the head.

G

Staff member
Leave the cams on. Next time just remove the oil cap to check that the cams are moving.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned