The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

exhaust system

paul j

My exhaust system (stock and engine also) from cat back is shot. I want to replace with 2.5", and change down pipe to 2.5" also. Are there 2.5" cats available and is it legal to change them? I assume replacing the cat with larger one makes the most sense for performance but how much difference for the price? I can not find any down pipes, are there any places to buy 2.5" down pipes or do I just let a muffler shop make a down pipe when they do the exhaust system?

ktmrider

Holy cow, near 10-year member with 69 posts! CMPE FTW: click

EMX5636

That must mean he has one of those fabled "reliable" non-JSB Galants. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

paul j

Had it for 13 years 175k on it with no problems except alternator, struts, batteries, brake lines, cv joints. Until now.

prove_it

Normal wear and tear. That will happen if you don't hack everything up and mod and drive like a bat out of hell. Our cars are actually very reliable.

Good to hear you still got it. Are you interested in performance or just looking for new piping. If you just want to have it rebuilt I'd get an estimate from a exhaust shop to compare pricing.

Megan downpipes seem to hold up and people have good luck with them. You'll need a 2g downpipe as the 1g pipe is too short, unless you put in a 18" chuck of pipe. Make sure your system has a flex pipe, or else you'll get vibrations. Don't forget to replace the hangers, they are probably shot too.

KiNgMaRtY

Sounds like it been very well taken care of.

To avoid some nasty bends that an exhaust shop may do on a downpipe, as mentioned get a 2g GSX DP. I had a one from punishment and a Megan. They are both 3" pipes. The Megan is a 2.5 connecting to the o2 and then quickly become a 3. The Punishment is a full 3" and has dimples to allow you to put on the bolts. If I had to pick one, I liked the angles and complete fitment of the Megan. The Punishment fit very well too.

The catback isn't as crucial and you can have a good local shop do it or get one from the provided link. You can also call Road Race Engineering and have them make you one. I had them make me a 2.5 to 3" DP with a 3" no restrictions full exhaust.

Last edited:

paul j

Thanks prove-it. Mainly just new pipe but would like some free hp & torque hence the 2.5" but I want some clearance so I don't think I want 3". Should I replace the cat with 2.5" also? I will look up the 2g Megan pipe. Does the 2g mean '93 galant or what? When I tried locating a dp all I could find was Eclipse. Who carries them? Will it have to be cut down or the cat relocated from original location? I need to keep a cat.

paul j

Thanks to you to KingMarty. What is your thought on a cat? I need it to be street legal and pass emission tests. Is the original adequate if it is hooked up to 2.5" in and out?

ApexHunter

"2G" is short for second generation, and in this case, the reference is to the second gen DSM cars, AKA 95-99 Mitsubish Eclipse and Eagle Talon. So you would be looking for a 95-99 Eclipse or Talon downpipe, or what have you.

If you are pretty set on 2.5", you can get a complete 2.5" turbo-back system from CMPE, including a new cat. If you still have the original cat, it will be a bit of a bottleneck due to the smaller ID and most likely will not flow as well as one of the units from CMPE.

I have a CMPE 3" turbo-back w/ cat on mine. I bought it second hand, and it is still in great shape. The fit is very good.

As a general rule factory cats usually last a bit longer and "clean" better because they contain more of the precious metals (platinum, palladium, rhodium) which are ultimately responsible for the reaction that occurs. However if your cat is very old, a new aftermarket unit may work significantly better.

BpuVR4

is your car seriously completely stock?

paul j

Completely stock except for the radio. It has a Panasonic in it. I want to get an original radio for it but have not searched for one yet.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned