The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Talon not running right, need technical help

cody

Hi guys, been out of the game for a few years. I bought a 92 Talon with a blown motor. I pulled the motor and rebuilt it. Now its back in and there's something wrong. The car starts and idles really rough, to the point where I need to tap the throttle to keep it running. When I tap the throttle the slightest bit it revs up pretty high (reving it from the engine so not sure on the rpm but probably around 4k). There was a really strange clicking sound coming from the throttle body area, I could feel it while holding the intercooler pipe; almost like the butterfly was loose and snapping back and forth. I took off the upper intercooler pipe and the idle calmed down and it ran by itself at a steady rpm. When the engine was rebuilt, all the sensors and bolt on parts were reused with the exception of the injectors. I was missing one so I got a set from a friend who said they were from a 2g. Any ideas where to start looking to resolve this problem and get the car under control would be much appreciated.

tektic

Start by scanning to make sure your tps idle switch and isc are working
Check for vacuum leaks
then perform proper biss adjustment

If all else fails remove the fiav

cody

looked at the car today, found a throttle body on the shelf so I switched them out; everything's still the same. I did manage to hold a steady idle holding the throttle body open. I pulled each injector plug to try and isolate a bad cylinder and # 1 and 4 didn't change at all. I'm going to try a different ecu if I can source one from a friend.

unistylef

Those symptoms reminds me of ISC problems. Recommend pulling your ISC motor out and testing resistivity.

tektic

I don't remember saying change your throttle body. Did you do any of the things I suggested?
It is most likely your isc is out of rage because your biss is not adjusted properly.

cody

I changed out the throttle body because it had all the sensors on it already and they were known good. Didn't fix a thing. I ran a boost leak test, all is well. tried an ECU, no change. It really seems like its running on 2 cylinders.

Steve885

Take the advise from above.. Go to library, top of page middle read how to adjust your base idle ... And is your base timing set to 5 deg if not timing first then idle

cody

Dove into the talon and checked everything recommended. Injectors 2 and 3 aren't firing. The injectors are good.

MellowVR4

cas maybe

MuffinMan7580

Check your CAS, as already suggested. Sounds a little weird for it to be missing on only 2 injectors though. The 4 wires at the CAS should have 12v, GND, 5v, and signal to the ECU. Check for 12V and 5V. Easiest, and most likely IMO, you have a bad connection somewhere. If you just pulled the injector plugs off to see if they were working, then you could have good injectors, and a bad coil, since cyl 2 and 3 run off the same coil. Check all your connections (CAS, injectors, coils, and in between). Your best bet would be to make a logger cable, and log it to try and narrow the problem down.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned