The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can't find gasket part.

gvr4ever

What is the name of this gasket? Is Mitsu the only source? Can't find it at rockauto.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have never found it anywhere else, except perhaps in a complete head gasket kit. I buy them 2 or 3 at a time from Mitsu. I also cut a few of them myself from gasket material.

DynastyLCD

I've always used RTV with good luck

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I've considered, but not done this yet. 2g uses no gasket there, only RTV.

gvr4ever

I think I'll just use the gasket this time. If I could install it on the head out of the car, maybe, but I don't think I could get a good bead of sealant with the tight space and angle of everything.

At the time, it seemed easier to remove three bolts then all the coolant lines. I had no ideal the gasket was kind of rare.

DynastyLCD

^^^ one awesome way to do this - clean out the recessed ring around the thermostat housing, and lay your bead of RTV in there.

as long as you use quality stuff, you'll be just fine. if just using a gasket, i recommend some spray-tack to go along with it to be safe

curtis

Do not over torque the bolts ....you will crack the housing...probably welded and repaired 10 of those things over the years.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned